Jr. Linux System Administrator
About the company:
Sonic.net, founded in 1994 from a project at Santa Rosa Junior College, provides broadband access to consumers and wholesale partners in a thirteen state region. Our leading product is "Fusion", which combines unlimited broadband and unlimited local and long distance home telephone service.
We recently hired our 100th employee -- after adding nearly 30% more staff during the past two years. We were recently chosen to operate and support the trial fiber-to-the-home network that Google is building at Stanford University, and are currently building our own fiber-to-the-home network in Sebastopol, CA.
As a member of our Operations team, you will have the opportunity to learn and grow more than any other job in the industry.
Being an ISP means we do everything having to do with the Internet, and because we are a small company, we are flexible in how we solve problems; this translates into vast growth and learning opportunities for our employees.
The Jr. Linux System Administrator assists the other System Administrators in the team, learning and participating in actively running our CentOS and Red Hat Linux infrastructure. This includes such core services as: E-mail clusters, Web Hosting cluster, Database servers, and geographically diverse and redundant DNS clusters to name a few of the technologies you will be exposed to on the job.
The job will push you to be better in a wide variety of areas. A typical day for our Jr. Linux System Administrators may include: spending part of their day coding, part running cable underneath our data center floor, and part troubleshooting a server that spontaneously reboots.
Our Jr. Linux System Administrators are encouraged to grow professionally, this may mean increasing the breadth of their experience, or really expanding their knowledge in one core area of our business.
Responsibilities of the job include (and are not limited to):
- Physical deployment of server hardware.
- Instillation of telecommunications infrastructure.
- Install various flavors of Linux (primarily CentOS).
- Troubleshoot hardware and software problems.
- Assist colocation customers: technical questions, and physical help.
- Data center maintenance and construction: mounting cabinets, and drilling holes.
- Create and maintain computer programs (PHP, Perl, Python, Bash, C).
- Assist our Technical Support team: technical questions, and programming tasks.
- Accept customer and vendor deliveries.
The ideal candidate will have some Linux and Perl experience, a curious nature, a thirst for knowledge, and the ability to troubleshoot effectively. The person we are looking for runs a Linux server at home for fun, is a regular attendee at their local Linux Users' Group, and is looking for a job that will elevate their skill sets. This person is tenacious when looking for answers to questions, and accepts new tasks and responsibilities with enthusiasm.
Be prepared to tell us why you want to work at Sonic.net specifically.
- Health Plans (Anthem Blue Cross, Health Net, and Kaiser options)
- Dental & Vision Benefits
- Life and ADND Insurance
- Educational Benefits
- EAP - Employee Assistance Program
- High Speed Internet Access
- Casual work environment
- Lounge/break area includes, free play arcade, ping pong, fresh brewed Starbucks coffee and hot chocolate
- And yes, we are a dog friendly work environment :)
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, using hands and fingers to handle feel, and type. The employee is constantly required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, push, and lift up to 50 lbs.