U P D A T E S
January 2002 to December 2004
Earlier Updates from March 1997 to October 2001
are archived here.
Additions - Changes - Latest
For the last 2004 entry (9 December), click here.
1 January 2002
12 May 2002
- Happy Mother's Day to all you moms and to all you tightfisted mothers out
there. Speaking of which, there are still lots of books for sale here.
- Still trying to raise some $8,000 to publish the next Maledicta, vol.
- Sally Jenkins of The
Washington Post interviewed me for an article on boxer Mike Tyson's foul
mouth. Her article appeared on May 12th and is also archived here.
9 July 2002
1 January 2003
For years, I've been urging niggardly readers to buy Maledicta and other
Maledicta Press books, instead of bumming them from friends or freeloading what's
on the Net. My tongue-in-cheek curses -- such as imploring Allah to rip the balls
or tits off cheapskates -- have scared several long-time parasites into ordering
our publications. One could scare the remaining hordes of tightwads and spongers
into spending a few bucks by using crude imprecations ("Buy or Die!"),
but thanks to Prof. Joseph Salemi, we can now achieve the same in a classic(al) way,
with his Latin poem, sung to Beethoven's Ode to Joy:
Si non emis Maledicta
Erinyes te strangulent;
Membra crassa Cyclopea
Culum tuum penetrent!
Fulmen Jovis ulciscatur
Te sine auxilio;
Scrotum tui perforetur
If you don't buy Maledicta
May you face the Furies' stare;
May a massive, long-shlonged Cyclops
Ram it up your derrière!
May Zeus zap you with his lightning
As you quake in helpless fear;
May your balls be skewered neatly
On Poseidon's triple spear!
But to all my faithful readers and subscribers and friends, I wish a Healthy,
Happy, Successful New Year.
22 July 2003
- No news here, except for some minor health problems such as two heart attacks,
open-heart surgery, triple bypass, and angioplasty. But I'm back at work, finishing
Maledicta 13 to get it out by December.
22 August 2003
- I have added the Contents of Maledicta 13 here.
7 September 2003
- I have added a sample month of my Insult Calendar here.
- In order to expose and screw the bloodsucking greedy used-book peddlers who charge
outrageous prices for our books (see entry for 9 July 2002, above), I have
now made all Maledicta Press books available at Amazon.com.
- A long interview with the Financial
Times Deutschland, in German, is archived here.
18 October 2003
- I have added the Bibliography from Maledicta 13 here.
If you wish to contact the authors for book orders, etc., let me know and I'll send
you their e-mail addresses.
1 December 2003
- November was a rotten month for me: Four weeks of murderous "cluster headaches,"
which set back publication of Maledicta by one month.
- I've added a sample page (50K) from my out-of-print Bayrisch-österreichisches
Dutch Maledicta: In April, the Center for Scientific Research and Documentation
(Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek- en Documentatiecentrum) of the Dutch Department of Justice
(Ministerie van Justitie) published eight articles about cursing, swearing and name-calling.
Among the authors are the Dutch maledictologists and lexicographers Dr. Hans Heestermans
and Prof. P.G.J. van Sterkenburg. Maledicta and its editor are mentioned in
the Preface (Voorwoord). All articles are in Dutch and .pdf format. See Justitiële
verkenningen, vol. 29, no. 3, April 2003, "Vloeken, schelden en schimpen"
1 January 2004
- Healthwise, 2003 ended as rotten as it began: Suffering about eight weeks from
killer "cluster headaches." Because several readers and friends have asked
what they are, here's a quick summary.
Cluster headaches affect only men, and only 2-3%. They're the worst kind of headaches
known, far worse than migraines, and have driven sufferers to ripping out their eyes
or to committing suicide to escape the incredible pain.
Imagine a 1/4-inch drill boring vertically and continuously into your skull, down
through your left eye, and further through your upper and lower jaws. Attacks occur
1 to 4 times a day and last each from 2 to 14 devastating hours.
These terrible headaches start out of the blue, after 6 months or a year of painfree
time, and stop just as mysteriously as they start. Luckily, last week -- after 20
years of searching for relief -- I finally found medication that stops the pain within
30 to 60 minutes.
I'm telling you this not to get sympathy (which I can find in the dictionary between
"sodomy" and "syphilis") but to explain why Maledicta 13
will be delayed till February 2004 or so.
- Daniel Worona, an old friend of mine, has been collecting some 40,000 humorous
sayings, proverbs, wisecracks, puns and the like about diet, food, chocolate, eating
and related topics for the past 34 years. Samples are here:
Also, during the past 40 years, he's been collecting original, unpublished Spanish-language
folklore humor in Spain, Mexico (especially Oaxaca), Central America, and South America.
Versitos Chistosos (Funny Verses) at:
Dichos Chistosos (Funny Sayings) at:
- For 2004, I wish all my friends and clients the very
6 April 2004
- Time to update, but there's not much news. I'm still beset by health and financial
woes, thus the publication of Maledicta 13 has been delayed -- one more time
-- until late summer or so.
- The Danes have finally discovered Maledicta! There were two good articles
about our publications and my turbulent life in Weekendavisen and Ekstra
Bladet, both published in Copenhagen. Read the Danish articles here
(W) and here (EB), or see the latest (top) entries for
those links in News.
- Esther Hecht (Jerusalem) interviewed me about a new book on Yiddish Curses and
Blessings. Her article is archived here.
- Oh, yeah: If you haven't received any reply from me to your e-mail, it's because
two months ago my PC's hard drive went belly up. Lost lots of stuff. Luckily, all
the Maledicta articles and databases are on my trusty Power-Mac.
4 August 2004
- In order to raise the funds needed to print and ship Maledicta 13 in winter,
I have once more lowered the prices of most books -- for the last time. See Order
Form here and buy some already! Note that rip-off
book sellers are offering used single volumes for up to $100.00!
22 October 2004
- Free book! If you reside in the USA, you are invited to ask for a free
copy (free except for $2 shipping expenses) of Osmond Beckwith's novel Vernon.
Details and a review are here.
- Otherwise, no gnus.
Dr. Reinhold Aman
"Please buy my books."
"Buy or Die!"
9 December 2004
- I can no longer accept PayPal payments and have dropped out of their program.
There's too much fraud, too many fake PayPal notices and warnings, and they deducted
almost as much from your payment as credit card companies do. So screw 'em. It's
not worth the hassle.
- If you have bought Maledicta Press books, I wish you Happy
- If you haven't, click here.
For the newest Updates (Jan 2005--) click
Back to top of page