U P D A T E S
January 2006 to December 2006
The first Updates 1 from March 1997 to October 2001
are archived here.
Updates 2 from January 2002 to December 2004 are archived here.
Updates 3 from January 2005 to October 2005 are archived here.
Additions - Changes - Latest
For the latest entry (December 4), click here.
4 January 2006
- Liesbeth Koenen's brief review of Maledicta in the Dutch magazine Quest
(Oct. 2005, p. 116) is now archived here: http://www.peptalks.nl/index.jsp?linkart=526.
Then click on "U volgde een link naar dit artikel."
- FUCK ("The Movie That Dare Not Speak
Its Name") had its world première on Nov. 7, 2005, at the American Film
Institute festival in Los Angeles. Among other goodies, this 93-minute documentary
features interviews with all sorts of (in)famous people, including Uncle Maledictus.
For a listing of the interviews click on "Interviews." See and hear excerpts
and more from this film on the "Trailer" page. This film will first be
released in November 2006 in movie theaters, then on cable TV (Showtime), and afterwards
- The counter on the Index page does not reflect the popularity
of this Website, because it shows only the hits ("visits") for that single
page. The number of hits for that page increased by about 1,000 during December 2005,
but the entire Website received 97,746 hits for that month alone. So many
visitors, so few book buyers. $#!T. So, how about buying our latest, Maledicta
19 January 2006
- The U.S. Postal Service raised its rates on January 8, 2006.
- A beautiful book of Dutch graffiti, Sex drugs appeltaart & 400 andere
teksten op Tilburgse muren, appeared in December 2005. My Foreword in that book
is archived here.
- Tom Dalzell and Terry Victor (eds.), The New Partridge Dictionary of Slang
and Unconventional English. London: Routledge, 2005. Hardcover, two volumes;
2,189 pp. Currently £99.00, rising to £120.00 in March 2006.
- Jonathon Green, Cassell's Dictionary of Slang. Second Edition. London:
Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2005. Hardcover; 1,565 pp., £30.00.
23 February 2006
- I have started the Bibliography for Maledicta 14 here.
- Meanwhile, the FUCK film
has also been shown in Vancouver, B.C., and at the 8th Annual Indie Festival in San
Francisco on Feb. 5 and 10. I attended the Feb. 5 screening (full house, some 400
guests) and together with the producer, Steve Anderson, entertained the viewers afterwards
during a 30-minute Question-&-Answer period.
- On 18 July 2005, I mailed Maledicta 13 to one of my long-time subscribers
in New York City. The book was returned yesterday, 22 February 2006, stamped "Attempted
Not Known." Godnose where that package has been for the past seven months....
9 April 2006
- The FUCK film was shown again at the Sonoma
Valley Film Festival in Sonoma, California, on April 8 and 9. It is scheduled for
release in the fall.
- Having turned 70 yesterday, I've decided to grow a beard again. Even though I
am now 70, I still feel like ... 69.
5 June 2006
- Infantile Censorship: Two editors at The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
recently demanded that their colleague, Lori Price, delete all references to
me in her article about offensive language. The reason for their absurd censorship:
because I'm an ex-convict! Read Ms. Price's Aman-frei news story and my e-mails
to and from the two censoring cheesehead editors Jill Williams and George Stanley
- Book-Peddling Vultures: It's time again to expose some of the greediest
book peddlers. These shameless vultures are trying to rip off unsuspecting or naïve
buyers by charging outrageous prices for used Maledicta Press books. Read about those
greedy vultures here.
16 June 2006
- Payments can now also be made via PayPal.
My e-mail address for PayPal is aman@maledicta.ORG.
On payments made via PayPal, please add 2% of Subtotal 2 to cover part of the
fees deducted from your payment by PayPal.
14 July 2006
- I've added much information about MJS's absurd censorship. See Update
halfway down the long page.
- What did he say? American newspapers have, as usual, been pussyfooting
around what the Italian soccer player Marco Materazzi said to France's Zinédine
Zidane to incite the latter to head-butt the Italian's chest. The London Times
reported on July 11, 2006, that they had asked an expert lip reader, Jessica Rees,
to determine the precise nature of the dialog that caused Zidane's reaction. With
the help of an Italian translator, Rees claimed that Materazzi repeatedly called
Zidane "the son of a terrorist whore" and added "so just
fuck off" for good measure. In addition, Materazzi taunted Zidane by saying
Zidane "made love to his sister" -- a standard Italian insult (Va in
mona/figa di tu sorella!), literally, "Go in [= fuck] your
12 August 2006
- I've updated and added more information about used-book-peddling vultures
- Wind & Water, a book of poems by my friend Osmond Beckwith, is now
available. This handsome 48-page letter-press-printed paperback, with an original
engraving by Michael McCurdy, is Osmond Beckwith's last and best book of poems. See
22 August 2006
- I've put the complete article "Ethopathy: A Word Whose Time Has Come"
by Joseph Salemi (from Maledicta 13) on my Web site,
8 September 2006
- Mail from a Moron: Steve Ball, a self-declared price-gouging book peddler,
saw my "shit list" of such greedy vultures
and bragged that he screwed an unsuspecting customer by selling him our $7.50 Classic American Graffiti for $50. He asked to be
added to the list of vultures, and I obliged. See his e-mail to me and my reply here.
12 September 2006
- Toying with a sassy-mouthed moronette from the "Bookfinder Insiders"
mailing list, here.
9 October 2006
- F U C K: The Film That Dare Not Speak Its Name. The long-awaited FUCK
film -- in which your humble editor appears as one of the (in)famous folks interviewed
-- is going to be released in movie theaters beginning Nov. 10, 2006. See here
for dates & places and some reviews).
Illustration Copyright © 2006 by Bill Plympton
22 October 2006
Today, a gentleman sent me an e-mail commenting that this Website would be more
valuable if I separated the Maledicta stuff (business & research) from my personal
rants (i.e., verbal aggression in action) against all sorts of scum -- nasty lawyers,
greedy bookdealers, and assorted sumbitches and morons who have made my life miserable
-- and if I created a second site just for the latter.
He is right, but I probably won't do it, as both are interconnected, and as the "business"
aspect (i.e., trying to sell a few books) has turned out to be a joke (or rather,
a disaster), because very few visitors to this site (several million hits since 1997;
the counter on the Index page registers only viewers of that single page) have ever
bought a book or the Monitor. Thus I think I'll
keep on as I have been, because I run this expensive site mostly for fun. I don't
have the time or interest to start a blog for the personal stuff, as much interactive
fun as it might be.
I'm also considering shutting down this site completely, sooner or later, because
if nobody buys our low-priced, high-quality books, why bother with entertaining the
Unfortunately, I've lost that perceptive reader's e-mail while trashing all the spam
and other crap that had piled up overnight in my Inbox. If he wants to remail his
intelligent comments, I'd appreciate it.
3 November 2006
- "Mr. Ron Czerwien is not a biblioklept!" The amusing battle
with used-book peddlers continues. Here's an Update
about his allegation of libel and my response to that silly accusation.
4 December 2006
- Four new publications feature or mention Maledicta. See News
(top four entries) about Eva Engels, Vito Tartamella and Ella Carina Werner, whose
works are in Italian and German. See also Bibliography
for Maledicta 14.
- Go to the next Updates (5), beginning with January