Re: Plasticizing migration? From Armstrong vinyl floor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Flooring Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dana/LaFloors on November 26, 1999 at 08:31:50:

In Reply to: Plasticizing migration? From Armstrong vinyl floor posted by Brian Stockholm on November 26, 1999 at 06:43:12:

Our company is well versed in product specifications and problem solving.
Thirty years experience.

All vinyls have plasticizer migration, but the rate of migration usually occurs over
many years and causes no problems. The normal plasticizer migration by itself will
not cause the condition you have.
Accelerated plasticizer migration will cause the adhesives to breakdown and the
adhesives would only come up at the seams. The vinyl will also shrink and become
brittle as the plasticizes leave the material. Usually accelerated plasticizer migration is
caused by a chemical reaction between the adhesive and the flooring or a reaction to
elements coming from the subfloor over which the flooring is installed. I have never
seen a flooring have accelerated migration on its own accord, thus Armstrong would
not be accountable.

My recommendation is to have a local testing laboratory, see yellow pages, test the
oily substance to ascertain what this substance is. Then you can determine if the
substance is from the flooring, adhesive, or green board. Armed with this information
you could then approach the responsible party and request a resolution to your
problem. If they refuse to assist, your only recourse is to litigate. You are correct by
exercising your suspicion of the manufacture and dealer, fox guarding the hen house,
ya know. If you litigate you can subpoena these test results.

My suspicion is that the installing contractor used an improper adhesive, perhaps
even an asphaltic one. This would account for the black oily substance.

Good Luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Flooring Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]