VW FERRARI VAN
REVELL F50 FERRARI &
MONOGRAM FIREBOMB KIT BASH
BUILT BY IRA DAHM (11/03)
3RD PLACE WINNER IN THE 2004 KANDY
KOATED KITBASH KOOKS KONTEST!!!
MORE COLOR PHOTOS BELOW!
The VW FERRARI VAN idea came from my idea
notebook. (Whenever I get an idea for a new project I just add it to my
notebook. I do a rough sketch, add a few words to describe what I want to
do and list the possible kits that will be needed to make this project.)
I really like the chopped and sectioned Tom Daniels VW Van designs like
the "Firebomb" and "Baja Beast", but these kits were
originally released over thirty years ago and I think it's time for some
updating. The original Monogram "Firebomb" had a V8 engine in
the back, with drag slicks and a very simple interior. (I got this old Classic
VW Van body, box and some body parts from modeling friend Alan Alexis who
was "parting out" this kit for two other projects.) Revell's F50
Ferrari had all the parts I needed for the update; a Ferrari 12 cylinder
engine, big and little low profile tires, star style mags and a well detailed
sporty interior. The center headlight is from AMT's 1949 Mercury.
I was originally just going to fit the Ferrari
chassis in the van body, but it was about 5/8" wider the van body.
So, I used the bottom of the Ferrari body to create wider wheel flares and
a sportier rear end and I kept the whole VW Firebomb front, less the spoiler.
I laid the Ferrari body next to the VW Van body and drew a line on the side
of the van, following the shape of the top edge of the Ferrari, with a "Sharpie"
marker. Then I cut along the line on the van with the Dremel cut off wheel.
Another line was cut just in front of the vans front wheel wells. Then I
set the cut down VW Van body on top of the Ferrari Body and marked where
the Ferrari body had to be cut to fit the Van body. More cutting and fitting
was done. The body parts were then attached with "Zap-A-Gap".
Next I did some grinding and sanding to get the fit as close as possible
and the I applied the putty. After the body was sanded smooth, new door
lines were then scribbed in.
The Ferrari chassis was trimmed at the front
to fit the VW front end. The front bulkhead was cut from the interior tub
and backed with sheet plastic. The front shocks were moved to inside the
bulkhead instead of on top. (The shocks were actually cut off and made to
look like they are inside.) This was done to add clearance for the new front
mounted interior. Chassis painting and assembly pretty much went by the
The interior was shortened in length and
height and rebuilt with a sheet plastic floorboard and front panel. The
dashboard is from the AMT 1971 Duster cut down to fit and the steering wheel
is from Revell's new VW Bug. The interior is painted black with yellow accents.
The body was primed in flat white, then a
coat of metallic silver was applied and then a cover coat of flat white
was applied. The silver was applied to block any possible color bleeding
from the kits original red plastic. I used Krylon's Red, Orange and Yellow
Spray Paints for the blended paint design and Testors Glosscote was applied