Twenty years professional experience in community and economic development, social research, regional and city planning, strategic planning, program design, evaluation, and management. Special focus on low-income communities of color, social ventures, and "green" enterprise in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Current Positions and Appointments, Spring 2005
Positions and Appointments, 1995-2004
- Housing & Economic Development Program Director, Mayfair Improvement Initiative, San Jose, California. 2002-2004.
- Post-Doctoral Researcher, Partners for Advanced Transit and Highways, Institute for Transportation Studies, University of California at Berkeley, 2001-2002.
- Consultant/Principal, Planning for Sustainable Communities, Berkeley, CA. Since 1995. See client list for more information.
- Member, Berkeley Planning Commission. Berkeley, CA, 2000 - 2001
- Senior Research Associate, Community Institutions and Capacity Building Project, Berkeley, CA. 1997-1998.
- Senior Associate, Center for Community Futures, Oakland, CA. 1998-2002.
- Field Research Associate, Rockefeller Institute of Government, Albany, NY.
- Associate, SWOT Team Consulting. Worker-to-Business-Owner Project, East Bay Conversion and Reinvestment Commission, 1999; 1996-1997.
- Lecturer, Dept. of City & Regional Planning, University of California at Berkeley CP116: Community Planning Studio (with Michael Nueman)
- Adjunct Faculty, Dept. of Political Science/Urban Studies Program, San Francisco State University, 1996; 1997.
- Visiting Lecturer, Dept. of Real Estate and Urban Planning, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA. 1995.
Recent Reports & Publications, 1998-2005
- “Cohousing 2005: Growing, Green, and Silver,” Communities: the magazine of the Fellowship for Intentional Communities. July 2005.
- “Doing Your Own Community Assessments” to be published by the Center for Community Futures, 2005.
- Mayfair Housing Plan. 2004. Mayfair Improvement Initiative, San Jose, CA.
- Bus Stops: What do Passengers Want? Co-author with Dr. Joy Dahlgren, Transportation Research Board, January 2004.
- Evaluation of the Mayfair Computer Academy: Followup of Graduates. For the Mayfair Improvement Initiative and the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, 2003.
- West Berkeley Community Profile. West Berkeley Fund, Berkeley, CA 2003
- Community Assessment, market study and census analysis for Berkeley Albany Head Start, Berkeley, CA, 2003.
- Foundations of Hope: Resources and Needs for Berkeley Youth. Berkeley Community Fund, 2002.
- Strong Business/Strong Neighborhoods, Program Design and Evaluation, (with Deb Goldberg) East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation, Oakland, CA. 2000
- Social Capital in an Historically African-American Neighborhood, 2000. Research report to the Public Research Institute/San Francisco State University and the Rockefeller Institute of Government, Albany, NY. Principal Investigator, David Wright.
- Effects of Welfare Reform on Bay Area Community Development Corporations. Research report (8 case studies) for Rockefeller Institute of Government, Albany, NY. Principal Investigator, David Wright. 1998.
- Berkeley Eco-Enterprise Business Incubator. Prefeasibility study for the West Berkeley Neighborhood Development Corporation., 1999.
- Market Study & Preliminary Business Plan for a ReCycle Bicycle Shop at the Fruitvale Transit Village. For the Spanish Speaking Unity Council, Oakland, CA, 1998. With the Michael Neuman Consultancy and the Center for Community Futures. Study funded by the Materials for the Future Foundation.
- Feasibilty Study and Market Analysis for Marine Sanitation Services, Adams Marine II. 1998. Report to the Worker-to-Business-Owner Project, East Bay Conversion and Reinvestment Commission, from SWOT Team Consulting, San Francisco, CA.
Conferences, Presentations and Panels, 2000-2005
- Staff Organizer, First Annual El Cerrito Business Reception, March 11, 2005. For the City of El Cerrito Economic Development Board.
- Get Down to Business Nights, organizer and MC of 2 resource fairs for small business people, April 11, 2005; and July 27, 2002. Organizer of semiannual community business mixers, 2003 to 2004. For the West Berkeley Neighborhood Development Corporation.
- Housing Developers Tour of Opportunities in Mayfair. Organized for the Mayfair Improvement Initiative, San Jose, CA, June 2004.
- Symposum on Undocumented Workers and Workforce Development. San Jose California. 2003. Co-convenor and panel moderator for Mayfair Improvement Initiative, with the Center for Justice, Tolerance, and Community, and the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, September, 2003.
- Organizer, “Using the Neighborhood Knowledge California” GIS training, at San Jose, CA, with California Community Reinvestment Committee, May 2004.
- Panelist/Commentator. The Baltimore Urban Block Project. National CoHousing Conference, Boulder Colorado, June 2003.
- Workshop Leader. Market Research at the Library Feasibility and Leakage Analysis for Social Ventures and Tour of East Bay Recycling/Reuse Projects for the Nonprofits and Social Enterprise Conference sponsored by the Center for Community Futures. San Francisco, CA, November 10-12, 2002.
- Presenter/Moderator. "Creating a Recycling, Reuse, or Remanufacturing Business." Nonprofits and Social Enterprise Conference, sponsored by the Center for Community Futures. August 11-13, 1999, Emeryville, CA
For information on earlier positions & reports, please see links below.