French Gulch

California State Historic Landmark 166

Plaque exists. Site exists. Landmark location.

Plaque Photo:

#166 French Gulch
Founded nearby by French miners in 1849, the town of Morrowville, relocated here, was the center of one of the state's richest gold producing areas. Total production was over $20,000,000. One of California's first stamp mills operated at the nearby Franklin Mine. From 1856 to 1858 French Gulch was the trailhead on the western branch of the California - Oregon trail. St. Rose Catholic Church was founded in 1856. As a supply and stopping place the town rivaled Shasta.

Site Photo:



3 mi E of Hwy 299 (PM 8.6) on Trinity Hill Rd, French Gulch.

Landmark logo Return to other landmarks in Shasta county.

Send comments to:
Donald Laird