Shafter Cotton Research Station

California State Historic Landmark 1022

Plaque Photo:

#1022 Acala Cotton
Shafter Cotton Research Station

The Shafter Cotton Research Station, established here in 1922 by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, developed the "Acala" varieties which were exceptionally well suited to the San Joaquin Valley. The quality of the Acala cottons and the marketing advantage of the one-variety cotton district, created in 1925, resulted in premium cottons with a world wide demand. Through the continued vision and cooperative efforts of growers and researchers, production of Acala cotton became one of California's largest agricultural enterprises.

Site Photo:



17053 Shafter Ave (2.1 miles north of Lerdo Hwy), Shafter.

Return to other landmarks in Kern county.

Send comments to:
Donald Laird