California State Historic Landmark 281
#281 O'Byrne Ferry
In 1852, a chain cable bridge replaced the ferries that once crossed here and was supplanted in turn by a covered truss structure in 1862. Certain writers claimed that this was the location of Bret Harte's Poker Flat. In late "49" there was a large camp there, with miners washing out gold on both banks of the Stanislaus River.
Nothing remains of this site.
County Hwy 48 (PM 0.3), O'Byrne Ferry Rd, 7.1 mi SE of Copperopolis.
Return to other landmarks in Calaveras county.
Send comments to: