Rail Road Flat
California State Historic Landmark 286
#286 Rail Road Flat
This historic mining town, elevation 2600 feet, was founded in 1849 and named after primitive muledrawn ore carts used here. The center of rich placer and quartz mining, its largest producer was the Petticoat Mine. As a result of black fever, the town's population was decimated in 1880. The post office established in 1857, the Edwin Taylor store built in 1867, and the site of an indian council house are among present-day attractions.
NE of intersection of Rail Road Flat (County Road 13) and Summit Level Rds, 0.5 mi W of post office, Rail Road Flat.
Return to other landmarks in Calaveras county.
Send comments to: