California State Historic Landmark 332
While miners worked nearby streams and veins for gold, George W. Coulter served their needs as merchant and hotel proprietor. His first store, established in 1850, was a tent stocked with merchandise hauled in by pack train. Coulter and the town which bears his name prospered, as Coulterville became the business and social capital of this area.
George W. Coulter started a tent store here, early in 1850, to supply hundreds of miners working the rich placers of Maxwell, Boneyard, and Black creeks. The settlement was called Banerita, from the flag flying over Coulter's store. A post office established in 1853 was called Maxwell Creek, but changed the following year to honor Coulter. The first stamp mill for crushing quartz ore was built by Andrew Goss. Quartz mines, nearby, under crude methods, with wood for fuel, operated for years producing millions. Coulter built the first hotel and water for it was pumped from a well by two Newfoundland dogs. Francisco Bruschi erected the first permanent buildings and his family became leading merchants for over eighty years.
County park, NE corner of intersection of County Hwy J20 and Hwy 49, Coulterville.
Return to other landmarks in Mariposa county.
Send comments to: