Granville P Swift Adobe
California State Historic Landmark 345
#345 The Swift Adobe
The first house in Glenn County built about 1848 by Granville P. Swift a member of the Bear Flag Party, who came to California from Oregon in 1844. The site is 150 yards east on the bank of Hambright Creek. The house was built of clay by indians. He soon had herds of cattle ranging up and down the valley tended by indian vaqueros and he made a fortune mining on the Feather River with his indian laborers.
Nothing remains of this site.
Old Hwy 99W at Hambright Creek, 1.0 mi N of Orland.
Return to other landmarks in Glenn county.
Send comments to: