California State Historic Landmark 407
#407 Mark Twain Bret Harte Trail
Tuolumne (Formerly Called Summersville)
Geographical center of East Belt placer gold rush, 1856-57. First white settlers, the Franklin Summers family, arrived in 1854, and built log cabin half mile west. James Blakely, in 1858, discovered first quartz lode, half mile east, naming it "Eureka", which mine became nucleus of town of "Summersville", later called "Carters" and finally "Tuolumne". Other mining towns lively in gold rush days were Long Gulch, two miles south, and Cherokee, two miles north.
In island, center of Carter St at intersection of Tuolumne Rd, Tuolumne.
Return to other landmarks in Tuolumne county.
Send comments to: