California State Historic Landmark 412
Following the discovery of gold nearby during the winter of 1869-70, this valley became the commercial and social center of a thriving mining district. Ex-Confederate soldier Drury S. Bailey laid out the town on his farmland and named it for his cousin and fellow native of Georgia, Michael S. Julian. By 1906 most mines were unprofitable. Since then the area has become more famous for the variety and quality of its apple crop.
State plaque: in front of Town Hall (Washington and Main Sts); private plaque: Julian Memorial Park, Washington and Fourth Sts, Julian.
Return to other landmarks in San Diego county.
Send comments to: