California State Historic Landmark 419
Near this site, now inundated by the waters of Don Pedro Reservoir, stood the historic town of Jacksonville. It was settled by Julian Smart who planted the first garden and orchard in the spring of 1849. Named for Colonel A.M. Jackson. In 1850 it was the gathering center for thousands of miners working the rich bed of the Tuolumne River.
Vista point at N approach to Don Pedro bridge, Hwy 120/49, 3.5 mi SE of Chinese Camp.
Return to other landmarks in Tuolumne county.
Send comments to: