Chinese Camp

California State Historic Landmark 423

Plaque exists. Site exists. Landmark location.

Plaque Photo:

#423 Mark Twain Bret Harte Trail
Chinese Camp

Reportedly founded about 1849 by group of Englishmen who employed Chinese as miners. Much surface gold found on hills and flats. Headquarters for stage lines in early 1850's, and for several California Chinese mining companies. First Chinese Tong War in state fought near here between Sam Yap and Yan Woo tongs. Present stone and brick post office built 1854, still standing. St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church built 1855, restored 1949, first pastor, Father Henry Aleric.

Site Photo:



NW corner of Hwy 120/49 and Main St, Chinese Camp.

Landmark logo Return to other landmarks in Tuolumne county.

Send comments to:
Donald Laird