California State Historic Landmark 806
#806 Fort Yuma
Originally called Camp Calhoun, the site was first used as a U.S. military post in 1849. A fire destroyed the original buildings. By 1855 the barracks had been rebuilt. Called Camp Yuma in 1852 it became Fort Yuma after reconstruction. Transferred to the Department of the Interior and the Quechan Indian Tribe in 1884, it became a boarding school operated by the Catholic Church until 1900.
Nothing remains of this site.
At top of hill, on bank of Colorado River, 350 Picacho Rd, Winterhaven.
Return to other landmarks in Imperial county.
Send comments to: