California State Historic Landmark 918
The course of oil production was changed in 1899 when the olinda area became the first site in California to use the technique of drilling with the hole full of water. Having been developed as a source of fuel oil for the Santa Fe Railroad, Olinda became a bustling boomtown at the turn of the century. Its demise came with construction of Carbon Canyon Dam in 1959.
Nothing remains of this site.
Entrance to Carbon Canyon Regional Park, 4442 Carbon Canyon Rd, Brea.
Return to other landmarks in Orange county.
Send comments to: