Site of Fort Romualdo Pacheco
California State Historic Landmark 944
#944 Site of Fort Romualdo Pacheco
(1825 - 1826)
In 1774, Spain opened an overland route from Sonora to California but it was closed by Yuma Indians in 1781. In 1822, Mexico attempted to reopen this route. Lt. Romualdo Pacheco and soldiers built an adobe fort at this site in 1825-1826, the only Mexican fort in Alta California. On April 26, 1826, Kumeyaay Indians attacked the fort, killing three soldiers and wounding three others. Pacheco abandoned the fort, removing soldiers to San Diego.
W bank of New River, S of Worthington Rd, 6.5 mi due W of city of Imperial.
Return to other landmarks in Imperial county.
Send comments to: