Key Thought on the Mentoring Process
Key Thoughts on the Mentoring Process
- Think of mentoring as a three party effort, rather than a one on one "arranged marriage".
- Think of a mentor as a learning leader who facilitates a learning process, rather than as a guru who passes down "the word" to a favored individual.
- Think of growth as the acquisition of attitudes and capabilities as well as the acquisition of skills and behaviors.
- View development as being enhanced by open dialogue and free form thinking, rather than limited by discussion guided by a set agenda.
- Think of development assignments, rather than future promotions, as a way of synthesizing thoughts about next steps in the organization.
- Cultivate career self reliance in employees who use the mentoring process as one of a set of tools in achieve high performance.
Created: Sunday, January 19, 1997, 11:45:09 AM
Last Updated: Sunday, January 19, 1997, 11:45:09 AM