Because of the new format of this class, I am creating quite a few new materials.
- These materials are being uploaded to bSpace, into a folder titled "New Materials"
- Please note that Chrome browser does not always succeed in downloading pdf files from bSpace. Try another browser.
- Copyright material should, in theory, be on the pdf. But since I am rushing this material, sometimes it is in a description box on bSpace.
- I have OCRed much of the material which means there will be odd spelling errors and such. Please read proactively.
- Vertical red lines indicate what portion is assigned. I have often left more text in place. You are welcome to read it.
- I also add "sticky notes" that gloss terms, give context or whatever.
- (For test review and such): On the schedule for the day the assignment is due, there might be comments on what portion of this text should be your focus, or what reading approach I would like.
- I am developing a "dictionary" as I go along, giving the basic details of a text or whatever presented. This should be helpful for test review. It is necessary because we jump around in this class.
♦ Jomon ca. 11,000-300 BCE
♦ Yayoi 300 BCE - 300 AD
♦ Kofun 300 - 552
♦ Asuka 552 - 710
♦ Nara 710 - 794
♦ Heian One 794 - 900
♦ Momoyama 1568/73 - 1603/15 (Sen Rikyū & wabi-cha)
♦ Edo 1603-1868 (Genroku 1688-1704) (Narrow Road, Love Suicides, Ihara Saikaku) *graphic of complicated name designation systems for Middle Period eras