Table of Contents
- Netscape Home Page
- Need more be said. Your link for the latest version of Netscape and the growing list of plug-ins.
- Netscape Archives
- Not all of us have the most up to date computer or operator system. Therefore, Netscape's newest browsers will not always fit on our computers. Go to their archives for downloading versions 2.0x on up.
- Apple Computer Home Page
- All the system bells and whistle updates just waiting to be downloaded
- Microsoft Corporation
- Microsoft's home page, products, support, Internet products, issues and ideas, as well as links for developers, as well as a product help line.
- NCSA--A Beginner's Guide to HTML
- This is a primer for producing documents in HTML; clear outline format for quick reference and tag selection
- Eudora - email package
- Find the latest versions of Qualcomm's Eudora light freeware email packages here.
- AOL's Instant Messenger
- Instant Messenger lets anyone on the Internet exchange personal messages instantly and privately with others using the Instant Messenger service--no matter what country you are in or how you are connected to the Internet! http://www.newaol.com/aim/72977/adb11.html
- Before hypertext and Gopher, telnet was the Internet protocol used to allow you to log on to remote computers. The telnet sites did not disappear, although many were updated to html. You will find most libraries, public and university still use telnet files extensively [such as the OPAC sytems]. This site will take you the NCSA site for downloading both Mac and DOS versions.
- Welcome to shareware.com (VSL)
- The new VSL (virtual software library) location. The software source for all the major operating systems. Another excellent source of software and utilities is www.download.com.
- MacUser Mac Software download site
- MacUser's on-line site. Along with shareware.com, this is one of the best sources of Mac freeware and shareware that I have found. Although MacUser has merged with MacWorld, its back issues and excellent software archives can still be found here.
- WeatherNet: Software Library
- From the Univ. of Michigan, you will find the largest up to date selection of weather software on the net . You can create high resolution radar maps, access weather services or even track hurricanes. Blue-Skies for the Mac is a must.
- The Cookie Monster - Mac
- Ever time that we visit a site, we leave a MagicCookie that leaves information about us and our browsing habits. This "MagicCookie" file is very useful in some cases, like storing some viewing configurations (i.e. with or without frames, etc...), but it can also help the server know WHO you are and what you do. Cookie Monster trashes the MagicCookie and cookies.txt files every time it is launched. Just drag it in your StartUp Items folder (inside the System Folder), and voila! This for Maci version
- CookieMaster - Windows 95
- Cookie Master for the PC. Compatible with both Netscape and Explore, it lets you monitor cookie and browser events as well as delete existing cookies
- Adobe Systems Incorporated
- Adobe's home page for downloading Acrobat Reader and Acrobat Amber, as well as updates to all their other software.
- All the helpers required to make Newswatcher functional; Newswatcher understands all those newsgroup you may want to subscribe to.
- Eudora - email package
- Find the latest versions of Qualcomm's Eudora light freeware email packages here [be sure to scroll to the bottom of the page]. This is also the location to download the most current manuals available for Eudora Light, as well as related FAQ's and access to usenet discussions groups about using Eudora.
- Netscape Plug-in's
- Find out about what they are, FAQ's, educational users; then click on NEXT to find them and choose them ro downloading. Remember: just because they are available for free does not necessarily mean you want to or need to download them.
- StuffIt Expander
- If you want to download materials from the net, most of the time they will come as highly compressed files. Go to the Aladdin Systems site for downloading Stuffit Expander.
- All you need for real time movies and motion, for all systems; includies movieplayer. While you are here, don't forget to check out QuickTime VR [virtual reality].
- Download Real Audio/video player and decoder and get both live and recorded sound and video. Also, be sure to check out Timecast: The RealAudio Guide
The Press Democrat
- Sonoma County's finest. This site includes lead stories, classifieds, letters to the editor, and an excellent links page. Some materials are archived for long term access [at present, back to August 1994], such as the "Sonoma Outlook" series. Don't forget to check their award winning student research site at www.pressdemo.com/library/research.
- New York Times
- Downloads the daily New York Times Internet edition automatically into Adobe Acrobat for your reading pleasure.
- The Gate (San Francisco Chronicle/Examiner)
- The San Francisco Chronicle/Examiner; includes word search feature for issues of the Chronicle and the Examiner, back to Nov. 1994
- AP/Trib.com News Page
- The Associated Press home page, with direct links to newspapers around the world. In particular, the AP link lists breaking stories, with new screens every 5 minutes. Categories include State, National, Foreign, Sports, weather, finance & politics
- San Jose Mercury Center Home Page
- Daily updated news, in a real newspaper format, all sections, with photos, this is a great stop. For my 7thgraders, an excuse to use the Internet for current events
- Current events on-line. Major newspapers on-line versions from across the US to Worldwide. This page also contains links to a variety of mainstream computer publications, as well as a search feature that will find a particular publication.
- ESPANA HOY: NOTICIAS (Spanish)
- A WWW newspaper from Spain by students from the University of Madrid. It focus's on national, sports and cultural news.
note: of course, it is written in Spanish
- The Magazine Search - Enews
- Hundreds of online mainstream magazines; searchable database, by topic or alphabetically; very full range of titles
This is my favorite monthly Mac publication. It also
comes with a great CD [each month].
- Global Connections
- This site contains examples and resources for teachers of simple ways to utilize the Internet, a wide range of tools and resources for the classroom, sample lessons in mathematics, with a focus on the Cartesian Coordinate System, an example of a on-line homework hotline and the beginnings of "hold your hand" instruction sheets to introduce new users to the Internet.
To navigate Global Connections
If you click on an item and it does not appear, you should go to the menu bar and click on reload, then try again.
Looking for a particular piece of information or site? Be sure to go to the tool bar and pull down Find in order to search Global Connections by key word or phrase.
The last item in the Table of Contents provides simple instructions for printing this listing. The hard copy booklet may make it easier to peruse the contents, in order to focus on those that may immediately serve your classroom or project, as well as making copies available for your library and staff room.
If you should have additions to these links, that you have used in your classrooms, please forward your contribution to Barry Sovel.
[last updated: 4 December, 2001 ]
Return to Home page