Biographies, page two

Greg Cory

Hanna Geshelin
(Helen Bandes)

Doug Chambers

John Walker

Julia Bergman

Les Mize

Sharon (Shonnie) Berry Brown

Gwynn Williams

Judi Dexter Lewis

Carole Bennett

Greg Cory

Since we will unfortunately be a 'no show' for the 50th, Julia has encouraged me to add to the time line of ten years ago. A lot has changed, and a lot has not. We still live in the same house in San Francisco, and are driving the same old cars (too many). Jobs have changed. Sanlin now has a practice as a personal assistant to high net worth individuals/families who are in transition (death, sale of a business, retirement, etc.) She unfortunately gained a lot of experience from within our own families and discovered there is an infinite need for someone of her skill set as people get older (other people - not us - right?). As for me, we sold our company in late 2007. We went from being a 140 person private company that operated like a guild to being one of 37 brands owned by a publically traded engineering firm of 45,000 employees. The marriage was not good, they did not know what, or why, they bought, and in a major reorganization during the recession abandoned all of the historic business lines and the brand. Ergo, there are now a number of smaller consulting groups headed by ERA alumni, including mine ( We have been generally successful since 2009 and I'm working about as hard as I would like: I don't have to generate lots of sales to feed staff, and get to eat what I kill. I've been working in Korea, China, Norway, Mexico, and the Caribbean. I intend to keep at it until my airplane falls out of the sky or the DMV pulls my driver's license, whichever comes first.

While many of you are grandparents our son is still in engineering school at Cal Poly SLO. He is a delightful young man, dearly loved by everyone who meets him, very studious ,and hits a mean golf ball. He has inherited my addiction to eclectic vehicles (some of you may remember a certain blue Austin Healey that still resides in my garage), drives a BMW twice his age, has done race support at Sonoma Raceway for two summers, and is a lead tech for the Formula SAE team at Cal Poly. I went to the Dark Side a few years ago and started racing in the vintage auto circuit with my brother, and Haden will probably follow suit. He and I shared a car at the Chump Car nationals last December and did pretty well--until the car caught fire!

Most recently Sanlin and I found ourselves with two 'adopted daughters' who were in the country for an English emersion program (attached picture with friends). They had signed on for a 'family stay' housing experience and found themselves in a small two bedroom, one bath house with eight other women (and no adult, let alone a family) We have found out subsequently that this is all too common with such programs, where many of the 'families' are for profit businesses. So, we rescued them like abandoned kittens. It was a wonderful experience: we learned a great deal, and laughed even more. There were trips to Tahoe, the Grand Canyon, Vegas, wine country, Big Sur, etc., and the girls managed LA, San Diego, and Hawaii on their own. Their families (French and Spanish) and friends also came to visit, as did all of the friends from school. So, for eight months Chateau Cory was a full time boarding house with very few nights without a head on every pillow, and sometimes with at least one on the floor. It is once again quiet...too quiet.

I am sorry to miss the party, but hope this finds all of you hale, hearty, and of good spirit. Let's vow to stay on the top side of the lawn for another ten years at least.


Hanna Geshelin (Helen Bandes)

I left California in 1968 when I went to Israel. I returned to the USA in 1969 when I changed my name legally from Helen, which I never liked, to Hanna, which has always been my Hebrew name. I've never returned to California, living mostly in Massachusetts with five years in Idaho and two in Utah in the 70s. The major focus of my life has been educating Jewish people about their heritage. To that end, I started and ran the nation's first Jewish retail mail-order book-and-gift company, was a Jewish storyteller, edited and published a Jewish women's quarterly, and began Boston's Jewish Storytelling Coalition, a performance and educational organization that is now in its 15th year.

In 1979 I went to Israel and England and had two "close encounters" with other Tam grads: I saw announcements in Israel for a concert by flautist Wendy Eisler (Tam '61) and her husband, and in London by George Duke; unfortunately, though, both were after my visits.

I've been a writer throughout my adult life, with two children's books to my credit. _Sleepy River_, illustrated by award-winning illustrator Jeanette Winter, was published in 1993 by Philomel; and _Reb Aharon's Treasure_, winner of the Association of Jewish Libraries' Sydney Taylor Manuscript Award, was published by Targum Press in 1993.

Presently I write monthly column reviewing Jewish-themed children's books for Jewish newspapers. I have a website, , that promotes the study and recitation of psalms. My inspirational stories appear in many anthologies. I have many secular publishing credits as well. I'm presently working on a book documenting the experiences of Iranian Jews living in the USA and Canada. Since none of the above is a steady living, I also do business and technical documentation. My business website is . This website features photos of the NASA robot arm. I actually did work on that, as well as on GPS and other highly technical systems, back in the early '80s.

I married Ira in 1995 and am the proud grandmother of Lily, his daughter's little girl.

John Walker

After the great years at Tam High I went on to College of Marin, majoring in Police Science. During this time I married my high school sweetheart, Joan Kaponat. We were married for 19 years (no children).

I went to work for the Continental Insurance Co. in San Francisco and stayed with them for 16 years, until August 1985. About this same time I was really getting burned out with insurance and it was wearing me down.

In May of 1985 I was introduced by a mutual friend to my second and present wife, Sue. It was a blind date set up by Peggy Quesdad, who used to work at the San Rafael bowling alley when I was in junior league bowling. We met in Sacramento at a state bowling tournament. It was love at first site, and three days later I popped the big question and she accepted. Its been 17 years now and we're still going strong.

In 1986 I finally quit the insurance business and went to Pleasanton, to manage apartments. That lasted a couple years. We moved to southern Calif. and with jobs as they were back then I surprised Sue by telling her I was going to drive a big truck. After lengthy discussions it was a done deal.

I started truck driving school in Corona, California and I was off into the night. I started my new career with Schneider National Trucking and moved with the company to Pennsylvania. We lived there for a few years and the cold winters and icy roads didn't suit me so we moved west again, settling in Riverside, California. I then got on with another trucking firm, Dick Simon trucking and drove for them till they were sold in April of 2002. The new company asked me to stay on, so now I drive for Central Refrigerated Services, Inc. I hope to retire with this company in 6 years.

It has been a hard life being on the road but I've been able to take Sue and our dog along on several occasions. We used to dream of owning our own home and settling down so our grandchildren could come visit us. In 1997 we found the area we liked and bought our first house together. Two of our granddaughters live in Boise, Idaho and they come to visit often. Our other two grandchildren live in Prescott, Arizona, so we don't get to see them as often.

Living in Nyssa, Oregon has been an experience. It's a small farming town of 3185 people. It's outside of Ontario, Oregon right on the Snake River. It's about 50 miles from Boise, Idaho. For excitement we count the onion and potato trucks that pass by our house. On any day, during harvest times we can smell sweet onions,and the sugar factory in Nyssa. The slow pace seems to suit us. Like other classmates have said in their bios, "I don't know how anyone can afford to live in California anymore".

I am looking forward to the class reunion in August 2003. We were down in Marin County last year on our vacation and got to see a few of our old friends. The County sure has grown. Lots of traffic, new businesses, etc.

See you all in August 2003.


Doug Chambers

Douglas Lee Chambers was born on August 30, 1945, in Little Rock Arkansas.

He is the son of Laurel Lee Chambers an outstanding Indiana lawyer who joined the US Army JAG Corps due to the 'Great Depression' that gripped Midwest back in those days. His father stayed on for 30 years completing his JAG career by helping to rewrite Japanese law into English common law after World War II.

Doug's date of birth was only a day or two before the famous signing of the 1945 treaty aboard the USS Missouri, in Tokyo Bay and his father worked directly with Gen.Douglas MacArthur, Doug's namesake.

His middle name "Lee" was after the 'Great Robert E. Lee'. However in Doug's family he was not referred to as the 'Great Robert E. Lee'...but rather simply 'Saint Bob'.

Doug's mom was the sweetest Southern Belle you will ever meet.

Doris Orr was her maiden name.

Later in life, when asked for her name by passport and customs officers she would say "Doris Orr Chambers".

They would pause and look up and say "Which one is it lady?"

As an Army Brat, Doug moved around many times in his childhood from the Pentagon in Washington DC, to DeRidder Louisiana, (near Fort Polk). And on to Kyoto Japan for two years.

During a childhood 'photo op' in Kyoto Japan, Doug and Prince Akihito visited each others homes (sort of an East meets West deal). The photo still hangs in Doug!s Sonoma home in the den.

Akihito's house was nicer!

The family then moved back to San Francisco and finally Marin County.

Where he settled in to Tam Valley School. Doug's father and mother waited for nearly 20 years to have childre (due to The Great Depression -- see above) and so they were a bit older than most and did pass on relatively early in Doug's life.

Doug will gladly relate for you many of his high school shenanigans at the reunion. Some of the high points were jumping in the nets under the Golden Gate bridge, and some sports activities.

Doug still holds a great interest in swimming.

He is a member of the SF Dolphin Club has swum from Alcatraz to San Francisco several times as well as the SF to Marin 'Golden Gate Swim' (which Rod Pinto was kind enough to film).

He still likes to dive for abalone and has an interest in breeding them by crossing them with get 'Abadiles'. So far he only has a 'Croc-a-baloney'!

Upon graduation Doug went to San Jose State University and earned a degree in Journalism and Advertising.

Advertising paid better, and seemed like a 'fun career' (it was) so he went to work for the Wall Street Journal.

To get an idea of his time there watch 'MAD MEN'. It was actually like that...those were the days!

Once a year a bunch ad folks got together to 'put on a show' which always spoofed the advertising biz.

This would be called 'politically incorrect' these days.

Some of the yearly 'Milline Show' productions in which

Doug played were: "Deflower Drum Song", "Diddler on the Roof," "East Bay Story," and "Little Organ Annie" to name a few. Details on request at the Reunion.

He also held posts at the San Francisco Chronicle, The Independent Journal and many other newspapers.

He was the Advertising Manager at 'Motorland'(now VIA magazine).

Presently Doug has carved himself a 'retirement job' -- His own company. Western News Service, which distributes magazines and newspapers in the Bay Area primarily Marin, Sonoma and Napa. There are five magazines and three newspapers in the stable including some work for the SF Chronicle, Santa Rosa Press Democrat, and Sonoma Index Tribune. Magazines include Sonoma Magazine and Edible Marin & Wine Country.

Doug and his artist wife are still 'crazy in love'.

To see her work go to:

...and he has three sons who are all 'growed up'. His five year old granddaughter visited recently and the family swarmed 'Train Town' - big fun here in Slownoma.

As Doug descended the stairs she gave him a stern once over and queried on his taste in fashion.

"Did you buy that as an outfit or put it together yourself?" she said.

I look forward to seeing you at the reunion (if you have read this far)...and as Mark Twain once said,

"If I had more time I would have written a shorter letter"



Julia Bergman


I was at SF State during the '60s – what an incredible era. Everything was happening and I got into as much of all of it as I could. I ended up with a BA in International Relations and went to Europe, and then to New York to work for the UN. They asked me if I could type (thanks to Mr. Watta, I could). I decided to get married.

After SF State, Bernhard and I hit the road; we moved 16 times in 13 years, of which a fabulous 3 years were spent in Berlin, Germany. We both worked in school environments and traveled around Europe every free minute. I earned my MA in Librarianship during a stint in Michigan in 1975.

I have traveled as much and as often as I could. In the late '80s I was audited by the IRS because they didn't think one individual could rack up so much credit card interest (which at that time was tax deductible!) I had nothing to hide. And I've been to some fascinating places.

After a wonderful 33 year career as a librarian at City College of San Francisco, on December 20, 2008 I retired, kind of.

At that time I also retired as Board Chair of the Central Asia Institute (CAI). CAI now supports more than 300 projects in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Tajikistan focused on literacy and education for boys, but especially for girls.

I am particularly proud of my personal efforts to raise funds for the new Balti Museum and Educational Center in Skardu, Baltistan, a remote region in the Karakorum Mountains of northern Pakistan, with cultural and linguistic ties to Tibet. Read about the museum here.

I was very actively involved in CAI’s mission for twelve years, traveled to Pakistan nine times, and once to Afghanistan, in 2002. During the last several years I thoroughly enjoyed traveling around the United States to speak about my role and about the organization’s many successes. When girls are educated there will be change, with change comes hope, and with hope, maybe peace.

Several months into retirement another retired colleague and I decided to co-author a little book about the College for the institution’s 75th anniversary. It took us a year but the book was published just in time for the anniversary. Product DetailsYou can find it on

The Diego Rivera Mural Project at City College of San Francisco continues to keep me connected to faculty, students, researchers, scholars, journalists and museum curators who find their way to our mural, and to the library’s special collection about Diego Rivera.

Planning for retirement finally forced me to deal with financial realities so my former husband Bernhard and I decided to assist one another in this next stage of life. We moved to Grass Valley in 2009 where my parents had purchased property in 1967. We knew that we were not going to live under the same roof, so I moved into the modest house my father built after my mother passed away in 1973. B purchased a cabin that sits very nicely on our one acre of cedar, pine and fir trees. We have an all-year creek on the property named for my mother – it’s Ellen’s Creek.

I like projects - last year it took me eleven months to organize my neighbors here to get a non-county maintained road paved. Everyone agreed that it needed to be done, but it was rough getting the money out of folks. But it got done! And this reunion has been a project!

Once a very conservative old Gold Rush town, Grass Valley has become a very arts-friendly community and I now read Letters to the Editor with which I agree. And it’s just 2 ½ hours back to San Francisco, where I get my diversity “fix”, meet students and friends. I drive “down the hill” often.

Our extended family includes 6 nieces & nephews and now their 10 children, so life is full of love and laughter. And of course my brother Ernie is very much a part of everything!

Over the last couple of years B & I have each had to deal with some manageable, some difficult health issues, but have decided to just keep on moving. So we travel as much as we can (my new knee makes that easier!) and just take life one day at a time. A week after the reunion we’re going to Alaska.

While traveling through Central Asia in 1996 I was bitten by a Kazak dog (a long story). From that experience I learned this: always know the difference between an inconvenience and a problem. And years ago I decided that the only 'religion' for me was the Golden Rule. I live it, although it's hard to do sometimes. So that's how I live my life. And I'm happy.


"I want to be thoroughly used up before I die"

George Bernard Shaw



Sharon (Shonnie) Berry Brown

Though many of you knew me as Sharon, I have been Shonnie all my life. I used to be spelled Shonny, then Shonni. I was Miss Stump's favorite student, though Julia would argue that, and I did end up with her Pinata which I have long since thrown out. I can't believe it's been 40 years--my memories of childhood are so vivid. I can picture so many of you perfectly, just as you were at Tam (or at Tam Valley Elementary).

I attended UC Berkeley 1963-67, not preparing for anything, but enjoying studying Italian and Art. From there I got my teaching credential at SF State simply because I didn't know what else to do. Those were the days of Hayakawa and major student demonstrations and I recall having contact with both Julia and Carole Bennett on campus. I lived in SF with my boyfriend (to become my first husband) until 1970 and then began almost 20 years of living in a variety of beautiful and interesting places including Turkey (where I was for the 10th reunion) and Bavaria in Southern Germany (where I was for the 20th). Also lived in Massachusetts, Maryland, Arizona and various locations in California. I met my second husband while I was living in Sinop, Turkey on the Black Sea and we were together for 12 years. During these years I worked as classroom teacher, art teacher, home teacher, librarian, taught art classes at adult school, and had a fine art printmaking business.

I am so very grateful for my overseas experiences because they have contributed to giving me a more global perspective. Living in a Moslem country was a totally foreign experience in the 1970s. Living in southern Bavaria in the 80s was totally awesome and I enjoyed every minute of it. On our street in a tiny farming village named Gotting near Munich, people from seven different countries lived harmoniously together.

My two most heartbreaking life experiences were the breakup of my second marriage in 1986 and the destruction of my family's Tahoe house by fire (the place where I spent every summer of my childhood) and the subsequent loss of the property in 1990. The divorce caused me to make some serious choices about my life as an independent person. I went back to graduate school in 1987 and got my M.A. in Transpersonal Counseling Psychology, becoming a licensed psychotherapist in 1993. In 1998 I moved to the charming small town of Healdsburg in northern Sonoma County and started a counseling center in Santa Rosa with six colleagues.

I love my work environment. I am still involved in art, pottery and gardening and still have guinea pigs as pets! (I promise not to bring one to the reunion). I enjoy writing and am working on a book entitled "Memoirs of a Baby Boomer" which may include some of you. I write a column for the Healdsburg Tribune dedicated to community building--my hope being to help bridge the gap between "us and them". Spiritually and politically I believe that we are one world, all interrelated, or as Ram Dass put it back in the 70s, "Everyone's my brother-in-law".

The 30th reunion was a real joy for me. I think I missed a lot of high school because I was so incredibly shy and fearful. At the 30th I loved reuniting with Cheryl Saunders (who I thank Charlie for locating!) and my trio of elementary school buddies: Penny, Peggy and Julia. I look forward to this reunion even more for all the surprises it will hold for us! P.S. Anyone interested in a Tam Valley Elementary School get together?


Les Mize


My life since Tam has taken me in many directions, but after fifty years I am still proud to call Marin home. Family, career, community involvement, and a Mickey Mouse collecting hobby have kept me busy over the last five decades.

After graduation I went to work for John Finn Accounting Corp on Miller Avenue, then made a career change to sales in the printing industry in 1970; first with George Lithograph Co. in San Francisco, and ultimately to Fong Brothers Printing in 1976, where I am still happily employed.

My wife of 43 years, Patricia Vaio Mize (Marin Catholic Class of 1965), and I have six children and 4 grandchildren who we get to see often. We have also enjoyed many pets, especially our yellow labs. Over the years and through my family I have been active in Boy Scouts, Little League, and Dixie Youth Soccer, as well as other activities through our local schools and parish.

Patty and I have lived in the same house in Marinwood for 40 years where we have raised our family, enjoyed community involvement, and extensively decorated for Christmas (locally known as the Mickey Mouse Christmas House and destination to thousands of Christmas-light-seekers each season). We are also fortunate enough to enjoy a vacation home in Chamberlands on Lake Tahoe’s west shore, and for the last thirty years I have held leadership positions on various homeowners associations there.

I have been active with the Lions Club since becoming the youngest member of the Mill Valley Lions Club in 1965 and ultimately started my own club in 1980 in Marinwood—the Las Gallinas Lions Club, which is one of the largest clubs in Marin County. I am currently the Region Chairman with aspirations of becoming District Governor. I have had perfect attendance for all forty-eight years.

I am proud of my Tamalpais High School roots and look forward to sharing our 50-year Reunion with everyone. One of my best friends’ daughter is starting as the Tam principal this year, and I told her that I was an Indian, not a Red-tailed Hawk.


Tinsley Stetson

 After I graduated in 1963, I attended 1 1/2 years of college and then volunteered and entered the Marine Corps. After Boot Camp in 1965 I was given a choice for OCS (Officer Candidate School) or Sea School. 2% of the Marine Corps are chosen for Sea School. I attended Sea School and was assigned to the USS Kersarge stationed in Long Beach. while on board I was injured on the way to Vietnam. I was air lifted off to Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego. I had two back surgeries to try and correct paralysis from the waist down due to three crushed discs.

I was finally retired from the Marine Corps with full benefits. Went home to Mill Valley and enrolled in college again. The school years of `67-'68 I taught as a outdoor education naturalist for the Marin Co. Outdoor Education Program. the summers of '67-'68 and '69 I worked for the Park Service at Tioga Pass, Yosemite National Park.

In July of 1969 I ran into Nancy Lee Nutting, who attended Redwood and graduated in 1964. Interesting note: When she was a Junior in 1963 she asked me to her Junior Prom. I accepted. At the end of the evening when I took her home she shook my hand, slammed the door in my face, shut off the porch light, left me standing there in the dark. I didn't see her for six years and through a mutual friend Sue McClearn in 1969 our paths crossed again. We started dating that summer and were married December 27th 1969. We went to Illinois in 1970 to attend college so I could get my Masters Degree in Outdoor Education.

After a year we changed colleges went to Spokane, Wash. Then in 1973 transferred to Cal State Hayward. After a wonderful five years of marriage we both accepted Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour 1974 and that decision changed our lives completely. My wife was working as a dental assistant and I was working for the post office. In 1978 the Lord called me into the ministry and I took 45 courses throught the Assemblies of God in Springfield, Illionis.

For the next 8 years while both of us worked. The Lord opened doors for us to preach the Salvation message of Jesus Christ at high school rodeos, professional rodeos, jackpot ropings, horse shows, Cal State Fair. and race tracks. In 1993 became ordained and we took a church in Wells, Nevada and pastored there for over 11 years. During that time we had a therapuetic horseback riding program for the disabled. Our yourgest rider was 4 and our oldest was 80 and we had 16 volunteers. In 2004 the Lord sent us to Garberville, Calif. (Humboldt County).

We pastored there for over 5 years. In 2010 the Lord had us take a church in Mariposa and we were there for 7 months and due to health concerns I had to step away from the ministry of pastoring. The health concerns is an exciting testimony and I will not share at this time. We moved to So. Cal bought a home in San Juan Capistrano where we have been able to see Steve Detsch and wife Dottie. I am sure each of us has more to our bio but because of space and time we tried to limit it.

 Thank you for allowing the opportunity to share part of my life since graduation. Can't wait to experience the time warp of 20, 30, 40, 50 in many cases concerning identification of identification of classmates. I will be bring pictures 6th grade, 7th grade and 8th grade and if I can find my year books I will bring them too.

 Rev. Tinsley C. Stetson



Bob Cogswell


The beginning:

Born February 16th, 1946 in Cook County General Hospital, Chicago IL. to Cynthia Joyce Cogswell, newly married to Robert C. Cogswell Jr.

1st 4 yrs of life spent living in Hamilton OH, where my father was born and raised.

Moved to California in 1950 due to employment of my father who left Ohio to join the Permanente Medical Group, newly established as a Physician's Corporation to lease its services to the Kaiser Foundation which had recently established their health plan to cover workers in Kaiser Industries. Our 1st home in CA was in Vallejo CA where there was a Kaiser hospital.

Moved to San Francisco CA shortly after coming to Vallejo when Dad was transferred to the Kaiser Hospital on Geary St. We lived for a year or two in Stonestown at 460 Winston Dr. Apt 202.

Moved to San Mateo in appr 1952 in our 1st bought home at 1342 Bel Aire Dr.

Moved to Mill Valley CA in 1955 due to Dad's transfer to the Permanente Clinic, just past the beginning of the Miracle Mile in San Rafael CA, to be the Physician in Chief.

Attended Strawberry Point Elementary School through the 6th grade and went on to 7th & 8th grades at Edna Maguire School.

In 1959 I began 4 yrs. of schooling at Tamalpais Union High School. During the first 2 years or so of High School, I was in a band called variously the T-Birds, the Thunderbirds and, lastly, the Chord Lords.

I was always musically minded with my tastes spanning classical, post-war jazz, some rock and roll until the Four Seasons (I hated the falsetto singing) and I was an elementary and early high school music student. I left the band in my sophomore year or the early part of my junior year and have not seriously studied any instrumment since then. I have maintained an interest in live music to this day and spend a considerable part of my daily, weekly, monthly and yearly time making live recordings, many of which I upload to a free public server called "Live Music Archive".

While still at Tam, I went to work for a stock brokerage in SF called Irving Lundborg & Co. There, I met a Frenchman named Raymond Bouchayer who introduced me to his sister, Nancy-Ann in August of 1964. We began living together soon afterward and, in May (16th) of 1965 were married in a civil ceremony that was held at my parents home in Strawberry. We were married by a family friend, Judge Joseph Karesh. Nancy had a son from a previous marriage and together we had 3 daughters, the last one being born in 1970.

I moved away from home in 1963 immediately after graduation from Tam. My first home away from home was a cabin at the top of Edgewood in Mill Valley. That lasted less that a year, and I then moved to a house on Boardwalk #1 in Larkspur where Nancy and I, plus her son Marc, first lived. We lived there until 1968 when I found a cool little hideaway on Courtright street in San Rafael. Lived there for a year or so, then spent the warm months of 1969 living in the back of my pick-up truck and, as the winter approached, found a rental in Bolinas (a magical place to live) for about 7 months, then on to Novato to a tract home west of downtown for another year. Our last move was in 1971 when I bought a small cabin-like house in Homestead Valley. We lived in it for about 6 years, then moved into a motor home while we presided over a remodel (actually a near complete replacement) of the house that took 6 1/2 yrs. We lived in the motor home, then a rental in Tam Valley, then shared their home with a close friend in Black Point until we finally were able to move back into our not-quite-finished new home (Dec. 1982) where we still live.

During most of the time until the present, I have earned my daily bread operating a small business (since 1971) called Sun Automotive, specialiizing in Jaguar repair. I owned the property I started in behind Goodmans Lumber and did business there until 1993, when I moved the business to Sausalito. My building was quite run down and, after spending a considerable sum trying to get a permit to build a new structure for my business, I had to leave to find better quarters. I now have my business on Gate 5 Rd. and am winding slowly down towards retirement (from that occupation, any way).

Our children, Marc, Camille, Perelandra ,and Alima, all reside in Marin (one daughter and her family actually are living in England due to the husband's employment, but keep their Greenbrae home for when they return) and we have 5 grandchildren, 2 girls and 3 boys. The eldest, a girl and boy who live in Mill Valley, are both attending Tam as freshman and sophomore students.

Gwynn Williams

"The Mole People of Tam Hi" or How I survived the "y" classes

Wow! I hear that in a few short months we'll have a class reunion, and I'm wondering if I should finally reveal the dirty little secret that lies in the underbelly of Tamalpais High School. To be honest, life for me has been rather meaningless, and I've been slipping in and out of a quandary of malaise and depression ever since Beavis and Butt head were cancelled..... But that's another story. Today, I want to share my experience as a "Mole Person" at Tam Hi.

It was on a cold and icy January morning in 1963, only forty short years ago, in the familiar surroundings of the 'Office of the Dean of Boys' a touching ceremony came to an end when this supersenior was handed a diploma by an office worker and hurredly sent on his way. I figured since my education was spent in the bowels of Tam Hi, I would exit through the 'rectum' where the flies congregate and garbage trucks enter to haul away the garbage. Armed with my diploma (and a 1.56 GPA), I strutted past the frozen, green slimy pond in the courtyard, took a right turn and headed for Gomez Way. As I passed by 'Home Ec', the familiar aroma of cooked food caught my senses.... I fondly thought ..."Nobody can match the food they cook up there"......Later, I had to admit the Army came really close!".

My first step into freedom landed directly on a frozen patch of ice that ran all the way to the bottom of the street. My feet were sent upward and my head slammed onto the hard cement of Gomez Way as I was sent into a microcosm of my life beyond Tam Hi......half comatose and sliding out of control........... toward the hustle and bustle of Miller Avenue, only to be run over by traffic madly rushing to fulfill the 'American Dream.' My whole 'Tam" life flashed before my eyes as I began my descent into oblivion............

.......My mind quickly reverted to September 11, (how appropriate) But this particular 9-11 was in 1958, as this undersized classic underachiever (Sentenced by his Junior High teachers' to at least four years without parole in the Tam Hi "y" classes) spent his first day of high school sitting deep in the bowels of the hillside campus of Tamalpais Union High School. To ease my shock, I affectionately remembered my primrose path that eventually led to this disastrous day. During my Primary, Elementary and Junior High years, I felt that contractors and carpenters preceded me, building to my specifications, bright, spanking new, and roomy classrooms at Alto, Strawberry, and Edna Maguire schools. Now, I sat in complete shock in this dank little room...... It was horrifying! The first thing that mortified me was the desk that I occupied. A decrepit wooden chair with an 'arm' that spread out flat underneath my right arm (Oh, how I yearned for my beautiful Formica desk at Edna Maguire. My very own Formica desk that my sweaty little face stuck to during my afternoon nap.....while Mr. Bobbio taught World History).

Suddenly, a thought came to me that momentarily gave me cause for joy...."Hey, this is wood!....I can carve my name in this thing!

Despondency once again swept over me as I realized my idea was far from original....the whole desk was covered with initials and names of previous delinquents who occupied this chair. I thought to myself, "I bet termites stood by and took notes as the "Future Janitors of America" carved this poor desk into near sawdust!" Suddenly, the sound of gushing water caused me to glance upward toward the ceiling. Again, my mind wandered back as I fondly remembered the majestic skylights that adorned the ceilings at Edna Maguire........ those beautiful adjustable skylights that welcomed the abundant and warm sunlight onto my precious little person. Unfortunately, (fortunately?) my desk was situated directly in front of Shelly Schwartz, so I had to lean a little bit forward to receive my share of sunlight.

The specter of what I saw on the ceiling of this stuffy little room at Tam Hi jolted me out of the warm bosom of Edna Maguire.......This room had pipes running along the ceiling and walls! Maybe some of you "x" students remember hearing 'tapping' sounds on the pipes during a rare quiet moment in one of the bathrooms......Yes, it was one of the "Mole People" desperately trying to make contact with the outside world. Every day was like a gloomy rainy day as water rushed every which way just above our heads. "A regular guy" had a whole different meaning to a "y" student. Every time a rush of water passed overhead, we would peer upward at the ceiling, much like the crew of the German U-boat in the movie "Das Boot".... as they nervously awaited the concussion of the depth charges.......Sweat beads formed on our heads as we waited for one of those pipes to burst forth and flood the classroom with a biological terror that would make the Taliban envious! We were so deep in the bowels of Tam Hi, that one time a student rushed too quickly up the stairs after class. We later found him near the top of the stairwell writhing in pain with the "bends".

My slide down Gomez continued.....I went further into unconsciousness and had a vision that Mill Valley was a mining town.......

"For the third time in the opening weeks of 1962, the loud and low moaning sound of the siren instantly brought us to attention, reminding us once again that some of our loved ones were trapped.......Victims of the mine owners' greed as he cut corners to stuff his greedy pockets. The wailing siren drones longingly into Meyers Department Store, Mill Valley's lone 'skyscraper' that overlooks the bustling downtown metropolis. Situated above the top floor inside the penthouse is Taylor Hawks, Mayor of Mill Valley and owner of the mines that honeycomb the hillsides. Standing at rigid attention in the magnificent office is the mayor's right hand man, Stinson Hallpass, dutifully taking in a smorgasbord of verbiage from the mayor. Taylor Hawks is an aging and huge overfed volcano of a man with a graying shock of bright red hair. A stark warning for all those who would dare provoke him, knowing they could set off an eruption of monumental proportions (Pretty big words for an old "y" student....huh?). Only his closest and bravest friends called him "Red". In a strange resemblance to a John Madden tirade along the sidelines, Taylor Hawks paces back and forth behind his oversized and opulent balsa wood desk. With hands flailing and a hint of steam emanating from his ears, his heated words slowly rise above the monotonous tone of the siren.

"......And another thing Stinson, I'm a visionary!! I know what's best for this town!! Wasn't it Taylor Hawks who got rid of those ugly Electric commute cars in the early '40's?.......'Used to call 'em E-cars....buzzing silently back and forth...... One of those things could sneak up and flatten ya before you knew what hit you.....That's if you weren't electrocuted by that 'third rail' first! You need noise Stinson......Industrialized America needs noise! Look at those sleek Greyhound buses across the street...What an awesome and beautiful sight (Hack-hack-cough). And another thing....Those old E-cars were always late, and that meant the mail they were carrying was always late!

Remember? We used to call the late mail "E-mail". Let me tell ya Stinson, E-mail will be synonymous with late mail forevermore!

".... And another thing....Wasn't it Taylor Hawks, who came up with the idea of mining this town?" "Yessssir, Mr. Hawks" a slightly shaken Stinson cuts in. "But we've never found anything, not so much as a Miwok arrowhea......"Doesn't matter Stinson!! I've got the townsfolk on a venture!....That's the American way....always searching and never finding.....Mill Valleyans need some kind of misplaced hope...."A pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" sort of thing. It'd be easier on 'em if I could convince those folks in Sacramento to start a 'Lottery', but they'd never go for it in a million years.

Look at those parasites down there on the sidewalk..... milling around like little bugs.....Hey! Those are bugs!!....I forgot we're only two stories up...Remind me to call the pest control.......Anyway, I know what they're thinking....they want my neck in a noose......Hypocrites! They name their high school after a stupid mountain! Then those numbskulls name their mascot after the people their forefathers slaughtered and have the nerve to print "Indians" on the back of their uniforms....... Well, I guarantee you they'll never rub the honorable name of "Red" Taylor Hawks in the dirt like that!!

" .....And another thing....... " Rrrrrrrrinnnng....Stinson picks up the receiver....."Uh huh....Yes....I see....g'bye....Sir, a startling development has occurred.....they say that methane gas has quickly built up in the small cavity that protects the surviving miners" A look of puzzlement covers their faces. "Can't be!!" Red rumbles in loud retort. "There's no methane gas in our mines........Maybe if they were coal'nhell did the methane gas get in there?" Stinson, still manning the phone, turns to Red and gives him the bad news just relayed in. "We have a report that the miners ate lunch at C's " .......

"Ohmygod!!" as Red slumps despondently into his chair......The "Special Sauce" ......I should've known.....Y'know, Caeser should be slid outta town on his greasy buns.....We could replace that greasy dump with a chicken stand! Chicken! That's the ticket!......Can't go wrong with good healthy chicken!

Okay Stinson, let's go to the 'war room' and get those miners outta there!" Red and Stinson hurry down the stairs......."Ooops", Red remembers "This place has an elevator!" Red and Stinson rush back up the stairs and enter the elevator. Moments later, they exit and move toward a group of engineers garbed in vests and hard hats as they mull over the maps that drape over the giant "Women's Hosiery" display counter. "Mr. Hawks!" cries out 'Head Engineer' Gus Benefield, as he fans his sweaty and wrinkled face with his pith helmet. "It's too dee......" "What's too deep! " Red cuts in. "What?" Benefield asks........looking a bit befuddled, Gustafson leans over to his trusty cohort George Dean, and asks. "What's too deep?" Dean mumbles "The mine shaft....The mine shaft you idiot!!" "Oh" Gus, now reminded why he's there, turns to Red and announces "Yeah, these guys are way beyond our reach.....nearly a mile down and there's no way we can reach 'em in time".

"Waitaminute!" All heads turn as a young man with mop in bucket, slops and stumbles toward the group of would be rescuers. Stinson offers a helping hand and steadies the young man....."Son, your eyes are so small.......and you're so pale......" The young man looks up, "No sir.....we call it a bucket" "No no son....I mean the color of your skin"...... Red cuts in. "Whattyawant! can't you see we're in the middle of an emergency! If you have something useful to say, spit it out!!" "Sure thing Mr. Hawks, I was one of the Tam Hi "Mole People"...... I attended the "y" classes and know for a fact that you can tunnel directly from one of our classrooms". Gus Benefield quickly unrolls the Tam Hi blueprints and exclaims, "He's right! From this here classroom we can go right through the wall and 'tunnel-up' to the guys......" Red yells out "C'mon men, let's go.....and there'd better not be any pantyhose missing when I get back!!"

Well, I'm sure many of you, during your tenure at Tam Hi bumped into some of us "Mole People" between classes..... We were the ones who staggered blindly along the hallways, banging into lockers and walls much like a person leaving a Saturday Matinee at the Sequoia theater as we tried to adjust our eyes to the bright sunlight. I suppose I'm one of the fortunate ones. I had a vision while working in the school office one day and focused my life on acquiring and owning what I saw as a product that every office couldn't do without. During these years, I bought up companies at a surprisingly low price and merged them into one giant conglomerate. I spent my whole life working alone at nights . I couldn't get along with coworkers during the day.....seems that the voices in my head offended them. Anyway, my dream has come true, just a couple months ago I reintroduced my improved product on the market. It's been kinda slow right now and I've been about as busy as a Wall Street Journal photographer. But I hope things will pick up and by the time I exit my super stretch 'Yugo' Limo at our reunion, I'll be known as the "Carbon Paper King" of the world!! Oh, by the way, I do a little writing.(Humorous short stories) Type in my name on any on-line bookstore or go to and check out my latest book.

Judi Dexter Lewis

After graduating from Tam, I went to COM at night and by 1967 managed to accomplish my AS in Business. Went to work for an attorney in SF as a legal secretary, put up with it for a year ish.. Quit when I got married in December of 1968. Bob, who is 5th generation Californian, and I met at COM night school in 1963, he's positively the smartest, most wonderful man I've ever known. He enjoys READING, fishing, hunting, photography, swimming, trains and carpentry. He grew up in Kentfield, graduated from Redwood in 1960 and has attended every class USF had to offer and has completed enough units for 2 Master Degrees. In school, he liked physics, chemistry, math, engineering and English. Bob was in the family sheet metal business when we married. He didn't like it much although he was extremely good at it. When his mother died, Bob left the business and became a fireman for the County of Marin. He enjoyed it thoroughly but as new fireman came on board, they lacked dedication. On his off days, Bob started our own general engineering contracting business, Environmental Management, in 1970. In 1984 he quit the fire service and is doing EM full time. He now handles all the Open Space and Parks & Rec work for the County. He's the best! He's also active in the community; his latest project was the dog park in Novato for the Rotary Club.

When we were first married, we lived in a two bedroom apartment in Kentfield. In 1971 we got pregnant and moved to a little rental house still in Kentfield. Heather was born in March, 1972 and she is the light of our lives. She did all the usual things growing up: ballet, piano, gymnastics & soccer. When she got to horses, she found her niche. She rode English, tried dressage and cross country and is now riding Western Cow Horse (reining). Heather is training for the world championships with her new horse, Boo (barn name!), a very talented quarter horse. Heather got a fabulous education at San Domenico lower school, went to San Marin and then graduated from Cal Poly in 1995 with a BS in Ag/Business w/a concentration in engineering and law. She has a job that allows her to pretty much pick her hours which comes in handy as she also trains horses and gives riding lessons. She has an Australian Shepherd named Tip and a McNab Shepherd named Mollie.

In 1981 we got pregnant again and had our son, Robert and he too is the light of our lives. He was born on October 5th, which is also Bob's birthday. Robert, too, did all the usual growing up activities: swim team, soccer, competitive mountain biking, roller blading...He was in the GATE program in grammar school which provided him with an excellent educational foundation. From the age of 4 he's been interested (an understatement) in video games. He and a friend started their own video game company in high school. Robert taught himself programming and a bunch of other computer stuff I have no clue about. He enjoys Philosophy, computers, and Tai Chi. Early in his junior year, he felt he'd learned all high school had to teach him, took the California Proficiency test, passed it, and started at COM and now wants to transfer to CalTech or Davis, probably for Theoretical Physics (I can barely spell it) .

Also in 1981, our little rental in Kentfield was too small, so we managed to buy a house in Novato and moved in in February 1982. We have just completed an extensive remodel and love it.

Heather and my favorite thing during the holidays is to spend a couple of nights at the St. Francis, shopping at Union Square and ordering room service. (Just like Eloise at the Plaza!)

The other thing we like to do is TRAVEL!. In college, Heather traveled to England, France and Ireland w/friends. In 2001, Mom, Heather and I spent 5 weeks in Paris, Geneva, and Zermatt. FABULOUS! In 1990 Mom and I sailed to Barcelona, trained to Paris, spent two weeks there, flew to Amsterdam, spent two weeks there and flew to London, spent two weeks there. The trip of a lifetime with my Mom! Heather and I are hoping to get to Scotland this year and go to the Tattoo at Edinburgh Castle.

I went back to school and graduated cum laude from Dominican in Business in May 1988.

I started working at Marin Community Foundation in February 1990, part time as an office go-fer while Robert was in school. I did all the usual things, room mother, den leader, and cheering section for his swimming and bike riding. I forgot to mention, of course, I was room mother, groom @ Heather's horse shows and taxi driver. Shortly after starting at MCF, I did accounting and then after 6 years, did HR. After a couple of years of that, I was "promoted"??? to Office Manager, a distinction I hold today. I now work full time, which I have since Robert started high school.

My interests, other than my family, are art, music, swimming, photography, knitting, cooking and our dog, Mav, a 9 year old yellow Lab. That pretty much brings you up to date. Oh yes, other than landscaping, we're putting in a brick patio, a path of which will extend out to the pool and around. If it gets done this year, I'll really be surprised!

Thanks for listening! I look forward to seeing you at the Reunion.


Carole Bennett

APB: Calling all Classmates,

Be on the LOOKOUT for Carole Bennett, AKA Carole Ann or sometimes, C.A., or Mono, who has been at large since June 1963.

Known to be a close associate of Ellie Cox, Judy Dillingham, Doug Chambers, Don Johnston, Jani Novak,
Mary Beth May, the Tam Cats and the Sausalito Gang.

You last saw her dressed in cap and gown leaving Mead Theater and the hallowed grounds of Tam High. Was known to be heavily armed with enthusiasm. Believed to be headed for San Francisco State with unclear intentions and wild ideas.


Suspect was married to high school senior ball date and divorced in three years. Received BA in US History which had no comparison to what she learned in Kappelman's class at Tam. She was an active participant in the student strike for a Black Studies Department and an outspoken critic of S.I. Hiyakawa.


Suspect received teaching credential and was hired as a math specialist for the Berkeley Unified School District.


Now teaching kindergarten, suspect gains reputation for creative teaching and passionate politics. Participates in major teachers' strike and civil rights marches in Berkeley. Suspect engages in multicultural activities, marries longtime sweetheartand black militant from SFSU.


Suspect is married and living in the flats of Berkeley. She has two sons, one and four. Her family is known to frequent Yosemite four times a year, Mt Lassen in the summer and Tahoe in the ski season.

Elaborate birthday parties for the sons are given at Cedar Rose Park.


Suspect may be wearing graying hair and a more serious expression. Tired of the School District she leaves teaching to work for an environmental ed non-profit, the Aquatic Outreach Institute. There she works for the KIDS IN CREEKS program and is the founder of the KIDS IN GARDENS program. At the same time she is working in her neighborhood, along with neighbor and classmate Taffy Pyle, creating beautiful Peralta Community Art Garden in North Berkeley.


Suspect's demeanor has improved, hot flashes subside. Suspect returns to more lucrative teaching position in Berkely Schools long enough to fund two trips to France with her two sons, 12 and 15, and her (now retired) high school geometry teacher (nothing like Tam's Admiral Hawkins, although actually a little gruff like him, and a great fan of proofs and logic).

Suspect takes TAI CHI lessons and grows California Native Plants at the Peralta Garden.


Suspect looks considerably relieved. Suspect retires after 31 years of teaching in Berkeley, celebrating with a jazz band and 200 admirers of all ages in her community garden in full bloom. Authorites have learned that when asked for her retirement plans suspect stated:

"I plan to 1) Goof Off 2) Regain my sanity and 3) Make a contribution to society." It is believed that her intentions for number 3 are related to the environment, social justice and world peace. Despite repeated attempts no progress has been made to date.


Suspect has gained 10 pounds since retirement. She was most recently seen on Market Street carrying a NO BLOOD FOR OIL sign. and later that day she was spotted planting seeds for radish, lettuce, broccoli and peace in her community garden.

WARNING: Suspect is known to be outspoken and believed to be heavily armed with a (somewhat) sharp it, historical perspective, ready smile and explosive laugh.

Be on the lookout and stay tuned for further updates.