Bill Nelson

I grew up in Mill Valley and went to Park, Alto and Edna Maguire Schools. At Edna Maguire Rick Lambretti and I satisfied our mole-like urges and spent many hours crawling through the narrow drainage pipes that went under the school. One day we came out partway down Lomita Dr! I was in class at the time Rym broke both wrists long jumping, which quickly ended Edna Maguire's short-lived track and field program.

 After Tam I went looking for a major for two years at Marin, then transferred to Sac State where I threw the javelin and came out with a degree in business. Most of us guys who graduated from college around that time had Vietnam staring us in the face. With a low draft number I went into the Air Force rather than get drafted as second looey in the Army. I was fortunate to get into the journalism field, and spent my first two years at Hamilton helping to put together the base newspaper.

 While at Hamilton I spent as many weekend nights as I could in San Francisco with a friend from the base, going to shows at Winterland, the Avalon Ballroom and the Fillmore. The Fillmore was our favorite. We'd get in line early so we could be close to the stage on the wooden floor, and then we'd get blown away by the incredible bands. We were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time in history. It was an unsurpassed (and I feel unsurpassable) musical experience. I feel sorry for the kids now who have to go to huge arenas and see their favorite bands on a big screen.

Vietnam was next, and I was stationed out of Tan Son Nhut with Combat News. I traveled around the country by jet, cargo plane and helicopter, whatever I could hitch a ride on, taking pictures and writing stories about Air Force people doing their jobs. Then we'd send the stories and pictures to the airman's hometown newspaper. It was a great experience, and I only had a couple of close calls. From Vietnam I went to Dover AFB and spent my last year in the AF writing, photographing and putting out their base paper.

I began working for Social Security in 1974 and worked for them until I retired earlier this year, mostly due to injuries from getting mowed down from behind by a truck going 45 mph while I was riding my bike in a bike lane.

I worked for Social Security in Reno, Carmel, Salinas and San Rafael but for the last 17 years I have worked in the Napa office. I met my wife Ann while working in Reno and we've been happily married since 1981. She works, also for Social Security, and is on the road to becoming a master quilter. We have a daughter Kelley, who just graduated from high school and will be going to SF State this fall.

 To keep active I've run many marathons over the years and have ridden countless centuries and double centuries on my bike. I also learned to play golf and love to hike, especially the trails around Mt. Tam. I joined the Tamalpais Conservation Club and will be out helping maintain the trails as soon as my left leg is out of a cast.

 Looking at our class picture taken in Mead Theater, I'm not at all surprised that I can put names to a large percentage of the faces. After all, a bunch of us grew up together, going to the same schools, and we saw each other every school day of the year, year after year.


Roger Ludlow

After graduation I went to Marin JC for 6 semesters and studied engineering and Art. That being a complete waste of time I decided to take a trip to Italy to study stone carving and lost wax process for bronze statuary. Now that was fun! I came home in 1965 or 66 (I can't remember) and went to work at Schoonmakers in Sausalito (boring!). I went back to Europe in 1967 to go to the art school in Geneva. I came back in 68, stumbled around until I landed a job building churches for a San Rafael construction company. This led to a custom home in Woodside Calif. - which led me to marrying Camille DeHaven (an old friend of my Mother and Fathers) It is now 1969! By this time I had become completely wrapped up in Transcendental Meditation. I became a teacher and taught for 4 years until I was forced to go back to carpentry due to "NO MONEY HONEY" "Chandra" was born 9/13/72 and is the Joy of my life.

I worked my way up through the Union ranks to finish apprentice School become a foreman then superintendent for a multitude of projects all in the south bay. My second child was born on 12/2/77 (Tristan) and became the second joy in my life. I became a general contractor in 1980 and was merrily working on Stanford Hospital in 1984 when my life crashed around my feet. I found out that my lovely wife was being untrue and I was left no choice but to dump the Bitch! This cost me my home in Los Altos, my booming business, my children and my sanity!

I want back to working with my tools and started a new Construction company. Seven long and tough years later I met Carol, a "Brit", we met and married in 6 weeks and have been together for the last 11 years! In 1992 I started a "School House" building inspection business called "Ludlow Inspection service" Under Title 24 there exists the "Field Act" which calls for an "Independent contractor to inspect all trades for any school built in the State of California. My wife brought with her two children John and Garreth both of which think I walk on water, (Hah) My son Tristan has become a General Contractor at the age of 25 and my daughter works for me. Carol has gone back to School (SJUC) to get her Bachelors Degree and I am currently Project Inspector for the new $21,000,000.00 Los Gatos Elementary School District. I was asked be Project Inspector for the Tam modernization - but turned it down! (too many termites).


UPDATE: Since my last post 10 years age I'm now a grandfather of 5 great kids. I have been happily married to my lovely wife, Carol, for 21 years. I am a semi-retired School house building inspector who is enjoying, cooking, jewelry making, clock making, studying American history and the creation of relational databases for various clients. My passion is teaching old world craftsmanship to those that want to learn how to work with their hands.


Diana Weil Randrup

September 1963: Married Chris Randrup, a Tam High drop out.
September 1964: Had my daughter, Kirsten.
December 1965: Had my son, Matt.

We lived in Sausalito, Glen Ellen, and San Anselmo.

 Summer 1967: I divorced Chris, moved with my toddlers to Oakland, and became a Raider fan.

1968 - 1984: In Oakland, I went to Heald vocational school and became a secretary at a hospital in San Leandro. I stayed there for ten years doing various jobs, winding up as business office manager. I then worked four years at TAP Plastics in San Leandro as data processing manager. Then I worked two years in Berkeley for the computer services division of a large insurance company, as a data entry operator and writer of user manuals. My working life ended here, at least working for money, and it was as tedious to do as it is to read about.

 The adventure of my life began at the end of 1980. During a quest for love, I descended into a pit of insanity. Not that I hadn't been living in a shallow hole already, but now I fell into a pit so deep and dark, it defies coherent description. The descent took about four years and ended in the submersion of my mind and spirit in a maelstrom of terror, with an astonishing array of subsidiary assaults (talk-talk-talking voices, delusions, grotesque visions, among others). As far as I could tell, the world went on doing business as usual, but I had lost my place in it.

Then, in 1984, some shred of logic prompted me to look for help, and I found myself in the psychiatric unit of a local hospital, the first of many stays in many Bay Area hospitals. Unwittingly, for I was almost without wits altogether, I had entered The Mental Health System. During the next twelve years, I rattled around this strange, enclosed, self-perpetuating world populated by drugged, blank-faced patients and smugly incompetent Mental Health Professionals. Although it was immediately clear that apathy prevailed here, I still wasted many desperate years looking for someone who would show at least a professional curiosity in my plight. In vain, for all I got were a lot of ineffective psychiatric drugs and a variety of canned diagnoses.

Terror is exceedingly stressful, and in 1996 I was found to have a long-developing ulcer which resulted in the surgical removal of half my stomach. I guess this forced the beast within to concede some rational territory, because it suddenly occurred to me that I could leave my asphalt-surrounded apartment in hellish Concord for better digs. (I was, and still am, receiving Social Security disability benefits.) So I got out my California map and found Crescent City on the coast in the far north. I longed for the sanity of natural beauty and found it here. Every window in my house gives a view of lush greenery, misty in the mornings. Nearby I have beaches, redwood forests, the magnificent Smith River, acres of lonely dunes, and more.

 So I have escaped The Mental Health System and found some mental health. My body is actively employed caring for my house and yard and walking with my dogs. My mind and creative spirit are not active enough, but I can see some remedy for this in the future. I did some paintings and drawings during my time in the pit and have done a few drawings here. My daughter and her three children live here now, so I am involved in their affairs, including all of our participation in the local community theater. I would like to write my story in fictional form some day, but this seems remote right now.

 This is my first attempt to tell my story in writing. Thank you, Charles, for giving me the excuse to do it.


Thinking About Tam

 Steve Yeazell


It has taken me almost all of fifty years to realize how important Tamalpais has been in my life. I grew up in Sausalito, where my grandmother had been born, and was fortunate to be embraced by a “village” after my father died when I was very young. Tam—its teachers and all of you--was part of that village.

By the time I got to Tam, I was certain that Marin County was the only possible place in the universe to live. That turned out not to be true: after ten years on the east coast (college & graduate & law school) and a single year back in the Bay Area, I landed at UCLA, teaching in the law school, the very last place I would have imagined in 1963. (Speaking to one of my law school mentors about the job search process, I told him the various places I would not consider living—including L.A.--which prompted his sensible response: “Steve, Why don’t you wait for them to offer them a job before you turn them down?”) I did wait, they did offer me a job, I had the good sense to accept it, and I’ve been happily ensconced in the UCLA community since 1975. During that time I’ve been blessed with fine colleagues and wonderful students (I’m now teaching some children of students I taught in early years). I’ve also become the world’s leading (because the world’s only!) expert on a fairly obscure topic and accreted some honors that are not of any interest to anyone that isn’t keeping score—which I very much hope we’re not on this occasion, because I hope this will be more about families and memories from long ago.

  Speaking of families—I’m closing in on thirty years of marriage to Ruth Fisher, who while conducting her own legal career, has not only gently prodded me to most of the significant professional things I’ve done, but has also produced two wonderful sons—Owen and Emmet—who, when they are not driving us mad, are the pride and joy of our lives. They have both crossed the magic 18-year barrier, past which, I remind them, they are responsible for contracts and felonies—and we are no long responsible for debts or maintenance. They seen strangely unmoved by my announcement.

  On December 2012 I officially retired from the University. In formal terms that makes me the David G. Price & Dallas P. Price Distinguished Professor of Law Emeritus. Less formally, it means I’ll teach half time and continue to do professorial putterings while trying to persuade my wonderful spouse to do more travelling before she has to push me in a walker, and trying to persuade our sons that, while totally uncool, I am not yet in the conservatorship category. So far both efforts have been successful.

  Turning back to Tamalpais, I realize how fortunate I was to have both classmates and teachers who tolerated my weirdnesses and were, mostly, kind well beyond the ordinary. There were some exceptions: on the Greyhound bus taking me to my first day of high school, an upperclassman I had known from elementary school cheerfully remarked, “They will beat the s__t out of you at Tam.” Fortunately, he was wrong. I remember fondly many classes and teachers: Mr. Bennet, who when he reached the reproduction part of introductory biology, said questions were welcome, but noted that in his accelerated classes students said not a word, while in his academically less ambitious classes he couldn’t get a sentence out of his mouth before hands shot up. I recall Mr. Wallace cavorting about his English class, arms flailing while explaining that, although some malevolent administrator had decreed that the “textbook” part of the required Drivers’ Education be taught in English class, that wasn’t because anyone had identified him as a superb driver. For the in-car part of that class Mr. Ahlsten managed to incorporate his drycleaner’s shop into one of our driving routes: we would “practice” parking in front, and he would nip into to pick up his shirts. I think as well of the always immaculately attired Mr. Duddy, who liberally applied aftershave, the fragrance of which was one of the first things one noticed in entering the classroom.

  And I recall many of you with great fondness: Lynn Crawford, with whom I shared a locker for several years, not only painted the home-made shelves of that locker red to celebrate my return from an exchange student stint, but, when we both discovered at the end of our senior year that we were dateless for a prom, agreed to go with me on the explicit understanding that “I won’t get my hair done, and you don’t have to buy me a corsage.” (We both kept our sides of that bargain and at least in my memory we had a fine time—but you better check with Lynn for her side of the story.) Marshall Boates, from the class of 1962, who forgave me for running into him on my motor scooter before our 8 a.m. gym class: we were fooling around and I miscalculated the stopping distance, with the result that for the rest of its life the scooter bore two small knee-cap-sized imprints on its front metal shield. Lining up in gym class year after year next to Biff Younger, and discussing which of us end-of-the-alphabeters was least athletically talented: we concluded it was a tie for last place. George Duke, displaying at Meade Amphitheater assemblies the wonderful musical talent that led to a distinguished career. Conspiring with Sara Reiter, after having learned about special districts in Mr. Beattie’s civics class, to establish an “Illiteracy Abatement District,” whose tax-derived revenues we figured would put us through college before the voters figured out what was going on. And on and on, through more names and memories than you would have patience for.

When I went to college, I realized that lots of my classmates had received way better academic educations—ours wasn’t shabby, but it didn’t hold a candle to kids from eastern prep and day schools who had had the equivalent of two years of college before graduating from high school. But Tam’s mix of people and its spectacular setting—I still can’t quite believe what a lovely site it is, at the foot of a mountain looking out towards the bay—gave me a fine sense of rootedness in a school and community that had taught me what to look for in and how to sustain a life rich in relationships and intellectual interest. Thank you all.




Rick Chaponot

How time flies! After graduation from Tam I worked briefly in construction (carpenter apprentice program) and soon realized that was not for me so I moved on to College of Marin and San Jose State. After graduation in ’68 I accepted a job as materials manager for a printing company based in Santee, California. Married first wife Jill while attending San Jose State, had a son, Todd, and divorced a couple years later. After 4 years I decided to leave the company for another opportunity and at my exit interview I was offered several options including a sales job in Hawaii. I decided to accept the job and move to Hawaii. I remained with the company through numerous acquisitions for 33 years in various positions including account manager, sales manager, general manager of sales and the production facility. In the mid 70’s I met my current wife of 34 years, Cindy, who was a flight attendant with National Airlines vacationing on the island of Kauai. We married a few years later and have a son, Brett, who is now 26, an NCU graduate now working as a district executive for the Boy Scouts in Denver. About 15 years ago I was approached to run the Hawaii offices a very successful printing/promotional product brokerage. It was really refreshing to work for a private company and regret not doing so earlier. Four years we were acquired by a public company that is International in scope. Lots of new rules and regulations that comes with being a public company, but still an enjoyable place to work and our Hawaii Division is doing very well.

My interests include travel, golf, and fishing. My wife has been with United Airlines for over 20 years and that affords some great travel benefits. With Hawaii’s great weather I can golf once a week without getting wet or cold. I buy lots of new equipment but never get much better at golf (maybe I should quit drinking beer on the course). For the last 30 years or so I have been fishing tournaments on Oahu and Kona. I had my own fishing boats for years but now find it a lot easier (and cheaper) to fish with friends or charter boats for tournaments. I also try to get off the island to fish places like Mexico, Florida, and Panama a few times a year.

All considered I think I have had a very good life (so far) and probably would not have done anything differently if given the opportunity. Although I am not looking forward to retirement it is inevitable and I hope to make the most of it.


Danny Smith

After Tam I went to UCSB for the express purpose of having a good time. I did. Majoring in English and History, I was basically treading water and in 1965 I enlisted in the Marine Corps with a promise of OCS on graduation. I was unaware that only about 60% of Marine officer candidates were eventually commissioned but somehow I made it through and actually did rather well. I was also unaware that Vietnam was going to keep growing like Morning Glory or Tribbles, but oh well. I was well down the career track when I had some differences with middle management, choosing conscience over team play, so I left the Corps and went to Santa Clara University law school, graduating Magna Cum Laude (still proud of that), and opened my own office in Los Gatos (Follow the money.) while living in Santa Cruz. Became a Family Lawyer more or less by default and I will be at it for the foreseeable future, having nothing better to do and having made no retirement plans whatsoever. (I was kind of hoping to live off my house, but there again, oh well.) I spent all my money on two divorces and surfing, skiing, and rugby trips all over the world.

I started playing rugby in college and played for about twenty years. Then I started coaching at Los Gatos High where I managed a 4th place finish in the US National High School Championships (1985). I was fortunate to have coached many prominent players and future coaches and referees, including Mark Bingham, hero of Flight 93 and the subject of a documentary called THE RUGBY PLAYER presently making the rounds of LGBT film festivals (Mark was gay) and in which I appear prominently. I must say that I never expected to be in a movie and if I was, that it would debut at the Miami LGBT Film Festival, but it's really a great film which I commend to all. Very moving, funny, and quite articulate about how sexuality is only a tiny and not very significant part of what and who we are.

Two sons by my first wife and a son and daughter by the second. Sadly, my little girl died in 1991 but the boys are all doing well and I also have two grandchildren. Two of my sons achieved national prominence on the rugby field so that was fun, too. Now happily married to Hazel for the past six years after a fifteen year marriage hiatus. Still skiing but I can't surf anymore because my shoulders are about worn out and I can't paddle. Too old to even coach rugby anymore but I go to games around the Bay Area and see all my old friends.

Glad to still be in the game and I look forward to seeing all of you at the reunion!


Jane Watson Aker

Hello, Classmates. I'm holding out for our 60th reunion, so thought a short bio for the 50th might see me through until then.

Simply put, I've had a great life so far and expecting more to come. Lucky. I was a Military Brat - had lived in two foreign countries and many states before I was moved to CA. I thought I had gone to heaven. I never have thrown off my outsider attitude, but I loved Mill Valley and San Francisco.

 After leaving Tam, I misspent a year at CU, passing only skiing (I had no idea I would be a good skier). After a stint (stunt) ski bumming in Aspen, I married a Texan - and a Texas kind of life. I have a wonderful son and daughter. Eric is an anthropologist - all over the place, and Rachel is a lawyer in San Francisco. We lived in Texas and Mexico City, where I took up theatre, and loved it.

Divorced. Then married a wonderful man 37 years ago, Gene Aker. We moved around a bit until we settled in Santa Fe, NM, where Gene teaches photography and I act, work, and - apparently grow old!!! I'm Loving it. We travel. I've spent 5 summers in Blue Lake, CA at Dell'Arte - and am about to embark on a 2 week trip to the desert to study Action Theatre with Ruth Zaporah!

See you in 10 - or maybe earlier. Thanks for the memories. They are good ones.




Fred Mack

From the summer of 1960 until my official retirement in 2000 from the Tamalpais High School District I never really left Tam. Between the summer of my freshmen and sophomore years I went to work for the Tamalpais District and continued on there in one capacity or another continuously for the next forty years. A little boring for some might say, but for me it was security and built the future I have today.

After I left Tam as a student I attended College of Marin and then Chico State earning degrees in Biological Science and Physical Education. In the fall of 1969 I was hired back at Tam as a full time teacher and coach. I continued to teach Biology, Earth Science and Physical Education for my entire tenure, but stopped coaching after about 12 years.

Once I closed the door on high school coaching I had a tremendous opportunity offered to me to go into professional baseball. During my run as a baseball coach the Tam program was blessed with some very talented players. Consequently, both college and professional recruiters spent a lot of time around my Tam teams which lead to job offers for me away from Tam.

Both college coaching and pro baseball positions are fluid to say the least. What I wanted to do and did do was to keep my teaching position at Tam and sign a pro baseball scouting and coaching contract that did not impact my teaching schedule and the security it provided for me and my family. I was able to negotiate that and after twenty three years with the Philadelphia Phillies and Houston Astros I am now retired from pro baseball. Sorry, no I can't sign your grandkids.

During my time with pro baseball I developed a reputation as a catching instructor. I approached instruction like an organized science teacher, something that was surely lacking from pro baseball 25 years ago. Over the years I was invited to Australia as a guest coach at three of their Olympic training sites. Yep, some of those Aussies really hate cricket! After a successful coaching stint in Australia I was invited to go to Japan and represent the United States on two national tours with U.S. all star teams. At each of the pre game ceremonies in Australia and Japan during the playing of the national anthem, I would take a minute to reflect on Alto, Sycamore and Boyle parks in Mill Valley and the route that got me to the place where I was. The only regret I have is that my dad was not standing there next to me to enjoy all of what I was experiencing.

Family wise I won the Lottery on August 9th. 1969 when I married Carol Stocker (Redwood 1963) We have just celebrated our 44th. anniversary and are looking forward to many more. Carol is also a retired high school teacher; 30 years and out for the both of us. We have had 13 years of retirement together and are just getting good at it.

Carol and I have one son, Eric who is on the staff as a theater arts techie at the University of California in Santa Cruz. UCSC did the same thing for Eric that Tam did for me, that hiring him immediately after he graduated. He has been on the staff there for 12 years and most likely will be there for another 18 as he has his ideal job teaching and instructing technical theater.

Looking ahead Carol and I want to keep things going just as they are. Travel. sporting activities, gardening and guide dog rehabilitation take up just about all of our time. Throw in my duties with Trout Unlimited (current local chapter president) and fly fishing adventures my "Dance Card" is really full.

The last 50 years have been a great ride for me and there is very little I would even think about changing. As my son would say I have had a great script to live out with hopefully a number of enjoyable scenes yet to be written.





Lynn Crawford Badger

I never did get a biography written for the last reunion. I didn’t think my life was very exciting. However, now that 50! Years have passed I have an entirely different perspective. These last 50 years have been awesome.

Briefly, Sara Reiter, Dillingham and I went off to UOP in the fall of 63. Sara and I stayed until the end while Dillingham decided to try the marriage and mother route. 50 years later we have merged at the same intersection, who knew? After college, Sara and I and a friend from UOP got an apartment in San Francisco at the corner of Grant and Filbert. I don’t have to say that that year in SF was a ball! Sara was getting her teaching credential and I was working for AT&T giving speeches on telephone etiquette. (I know many companies that could use that service today.)

The job was fun until I found out that the vacation schedule was one week per year! This did not work well for me. So, armed with my BA in sociology (“let us know when you get your Masters and we might have a job for you”) degree I went back to school to get my teaching credential. However not before I met the wonderful man that I have been married to for the past 45 years! John and I were married ½ way through my school work. I got my credential in 1970 and soon afterwards John was transferred to Lake Jackson, TX. This is a tiny TX town, one hour from Houston and dry, as in no alcohol! This was my first introduction to humidity!

On the good side I was able to get a teaching job and we bought our first house! We lived there 363 days before we were transferred to Cleveland, a delight after Texas! I taught 4th grade before our daughter, Sara, was born in 1973. After a few years, off to MI, then onto Miami, where our son, Jeff, was born in 1976. We were transferred to The Netherlands in 1977. We bought a VW camper bus and vacationed all over Europe for 4 years. It was fabulous!

We reluctantly returned to MI in 1981. Next, onto New Jersey and finally landed in Ridgefield, CT where we spent almost 20 years. This was a lovely town where we were all very involved in all kinds of organizations and activities. I was mostly a stay at home, volunteering mom. I did work as a permanent temp for a big office thru those college tuition years. Our daughter graduated from college and was married in 1996. She wore the wedding dress that both my mother and I had worn, Sadly, my mom died 2 months before the wedding. Our son graduated in 1998 and we thought a lot about retiring.

In 2004 we said goodbye to the “big” house in CT and moved to a condo in New Hampshire. Life has been great. We are 10 minutes away from our daughter’s family, 2 beautiful, accomplished granddaughters (13 & 14) and their 7 year brother. Our son’s family lives a little over an hour away in Portland, ME. They have a 6 year old son and our youngest grandson who is 5 months old. We are close enough to be part of lots of activities. We love to travel and have done a lot of traveling in the past few years. We have enjoyed taking our granddaughters on several trips. The boys will have to get much older for that perk.

Over the years, we have been active volunteers in our town and condo association. We love to kayak, walk, bike and hike. For John’s 65 birthday we walked the NH seacoast! Try that in California! We are both involved in the UNH Marine Docent program where we have learned way more than I ever did in school about a huge variety of subjects! We are operating under the spend-it-now-do-it-now motto. As you all know, we are not getting any younger or in any better shape! Basically, so far LIFE IS GOOD.

Thanks Charlie, Julia and everyone else who has worked hard to make this reunion a reality! See you soon.



Laurie Pemberton Maricle

First of all, thank you to all those who are spearheading and planning the events for our 50th reunion! I’m happily looking forward to reconnecting with everyone.

Having written an autobiography for our 40th class reunion, I’ll write a brief review and then share a bit on what’s occurred over the past ten years.

Looking back 50-plus years (that’s so hard to fathom, since I’m still 27), my Tam High experiences opened my eyes to parts of myself that I never knew existed in me as child. Having grown up in a home with an extremely strict Quaker father, it was at the age of 19 when I was studying in New Zealand that I seemed to naturally gravitate toward seeking my own self-esteem (which was severely lacking) and learning how to accept who I was. I knew I had a lifetime of learning ahead of me. For a girl whose knees and entire body shook whenever I had to make a speech in front of classmates at Tam (and even in college), it was right after I completed university and worked for the Grand Teton Lodge Company that I surprisingly found myself launched into a successful solo singing career -- standing on stage -- in 1969. I was traveling and singing in many ski areas in the northern-U.S. and Canadian Rockies for many years (plenty of free skiing in Jackson Hole and Lake Louise). I finally learned to keep my knees from quaking! I sang and played my guitar (self-taught while a Senior at Tam), performing selections by all “the greats” of the time -- Judy Collins, Joni Mitchell, John Denver, Crosby Stills & Nash, Credence CW, Joan Baez, PP&M, Bobby Goldsboro, etc. Since then, I have made two CD’s, Sojourns (folk) and Joe & Me (jazz), the latter of which is being updated (I’m adding a flute) and set for “re-release” this winter on Amazon. Today, I continue to sing at the Governor’s Mansion and for weddings and special events in the Pacific Northwest. Needless to say, the varied and amazing musical styles that all of us grew up with profoundly touched my life, as they did all of us. I am so grateful for the tantalizing musical influences of the ‘50’s, ‘60’s and ‘70’s.

Living my life as a free spirit with a great deal of travel and some poorly chosen relationships, I finally settled down and married a wonderful man, Scott Maricle, a Dartmouth grad and attorney from Massachusetts. I gave birth to our beautiful daughter, Chelsea Peran, in 1984. I am proud to say that I am the president of my daughter’s fan club, as I continue to be a proud and deeply loving mom. Scott’s and my marriage lasted 24 years, until I finally separated from him due to his extremely challenging Vietnam vet PTSD issues and my resulting ill health from the stress. After nine years of separation, we finally decided to dissolve our marriage. Today we remain the best of friends.

Over the years, I have traveled to nearly 20 countries around the globe, my favorite being Egypt, followed quickly by France’s Provence area. International travel continues to be a passion of mine. I also enjoy politics, hiking, art galleries, learning about different cultures worldwide, expanding my spiritual path of learning and evolvement, and helping others who are less fortunate.

To bring my story current, this June I completed my 17th year as a State Capitol Tour Coordinator for the State of Washington. I am employed as a teacher of civics during Washington’s Legislative Sessions, instructing my students in the three branches and complexities of government. The venue in which I work provides a unique and very grand setting for my “hands-on” teaching style – the State Capitol -- inside the Rotunda, the Senate and House Chamber, the offices of the Governor, Secretary of State, Lt. Governor, Treasurer, Auditor, and inside the Supreme Court of the State of Washington itself, where I teach Supreme Court cases. My students have numbered in the many thousands over the years, including international visitors, students and dignitaries from across the state and around the world. I am passionate about teaching government because I believe too many Americans today remain uninformed about “how our government is designed to work”. My heartfelt wish is to see school systems return to teaching more in-depth government classes at all levels. (One solution to the suspected “dumbing of America”?)

I have also dedicated my life to non-profit work and charities, as I always want to help “lift” those who are in need, especially children. Each December, I have helped collect (from 18,000 motorcyclists riding through Olympia – an annual event called “The Toy Run”) and sort through massive amounts of toys, games, blankets and clothing for disadvantaged children at Christmastime. I have sung for children in our local schools and performed at charitable events. I am also very dedicated to veterans’ causes and the wellbeing of all those who have served in militaries in the U.S., and countries around the world. I have seen and experienced the vets’ challenges through personal experience as a vet’s wife and as the mother of a vet’s child. My heart is full and wanting to help.

Another non-profit in which I have been involved since 1999 is Washington State’s Governor’s Mansion Foundation. I am now the immediate Past-President, Ex-Officio and Trustee Emeritus of this non-profit, non-political organization. I served my two-year term as the 16th President of the Foundation between June 2010 and June 2012. Our mission is to procure and maintain the original artwork, historic furnishings and two Steinway pianos in the public rooms of the Executive Mansion. The Foundation was created by Governor Dan Evans and First Lady Nancy Evans in 1972.

I also continue to serve as the Coordinator and Chairman of the Governor’s Mansion Foundation Chamber Concerts, which is a series of concerts presented in the formal ballroom of the Governor’s Mansion between October and June of each year. This coming October, I will be presenting the 50th concert event that I will have personally coordinated for the Mansion. I love what I do.

Also, prior to my presidency with the Foundation, I served a three-year term as the statewide Chairman of the Governor’s Mansion Centennial Committee, which planned numerous celebrations and projects in honor of the 100th anniversary of the 1908 construction of the Executive Mansion in Olympia. Spearheading the statewide effort, I coordinated a large committee to organize major events at the Governor’s Mansion. Following an initial fundraising event which was a formal luncheon honoring all of the living past-governors of Washington, hosted by Governor Chris Gregoire, we presented a 1908-style garden party held on the sprawling north lawn of the Mansion grounds, an elegant formal luncheon honoring all of our former First Ladies of Washington, and a traditional “1908 Pink Tea,” at which we discussed the women’s suffrage movement of 1908 and presented a vintage fashion show. All events were designed using turn-of-the-century Edwardian tradition and costumes. Today I continue to present speeches to Rotary and Lions Clubs, and to many other civic organizations in Washington about the Foundation.

As we all reach our 50th high school reunion milestone, I can say that I have lived through a multitude of tragedies and excruciating challenges, profound joys and unexpected successes, and today I am very content with my life. I continue to see myself as “a work in progress,” which will be my theme for the next 40 years. With our 50th reunion coming very soon, I’m looking forward to reconnecting and reminiscing with longtime friends from Tam.


Mary Hamilton Roberts has contributed these class photos from Old Mill and Edna Maguire schools. Are you in any of these?